Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Your last session/workout!

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by m2013, Feb 13, 2014.

1. thirdtry

thirdtry Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    It depends on the session and there's no right answer, it's subjective but here's an attempt at explaining:

You will be able to do higher volume (more sets and reps) by taking 60-90 seconds rest. This means more micro damage to your muscles (which we want) which means once you fully recover your scores should be higher and you will find the individual exercises easier. Most strength athletes bodybuilders etc take 2 mins or more rest between sets.

HOWEVER

From memory a lot (pretty much all) of the phys at Lympstone is intense, back to back, determination stuff. IMF and Bottom Field both absolutely gas you out. So you need to condition your body to be used to this. If you're constantly taking loads of rest you won't build up that engine to deal with the lactic acid and pain, or the cardio side, so you'll struggle and life will be harder.

HOWEVER (again)

If you smash yourself to within an inch of your life every day you will burn out much faster. You won't recover as easily, your scores won't be as high, you might get sick or injured. Even the big military fitness experts online like Sean Lerwill (ex RM PTI), Simon Jeffries (ex SBS) and Mike Chadwick (Para PTI) just recently spoke about training smart and not making every session too intense.

So

Find the balance. I'm quite happy with my scores (max on press-ups and sit-ups, near max pull-ups, decent 1.5 and bleep) and my overall conditioning too, there's always work to be done but I'm happy enough.

I try to do 2x really hard continuous circuits each week (not including the VPJFT which I'll do as a warm up for strength sessions), then on strength days with the weights I'll take 45-60 secs rest between each set.

Sometimes if you feel there's "more to give" then you can always do some Tabatas or HIIT stuff for 10 mins at the end of your slower sessions as a "finisher".

Then just make sure you get enough rest. Honestly over time I've found MORE fitness gains from 3-4 strength & conditioning sessions each week rather than smashing out 5-6 where you're never fully recovered.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You sure your not google as your full of information! Ha but really appreciate it!

Yeah so basically there’s to ways to it don’t overdo it where you can’t do anything next workout as your to sore and don’t take to much rest periods or train to lightly as when it comes to the hard stuff you will come unstuck (unprepared!)

Not quite sure what work their is to be done when you can max out pretty much everything!
    Bit I suppose keeping on top of those standards is something you need to do or you can fall off the way side a bit.

3. thirdtry

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Ah I try to learn as much as i can but knowledge doesn't mean success, can just as easily fail something or fall by the way side as happened last time in training!

But that's it mate. For example if you're doing a 6 day program, 3 days of strength/circuits and 3 days of running. Do 1 really hard disgusting circuit per week and the other 2 days can be smart strength work.

Like with running, when people generally say do 1 hard sprints session per week and the rest of runs should be smarter mileage! Same principle.

4. Steeplejackb

Steeplejackb Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Once i've reached a drop in form/muscle exhaustion after 4 or 5 sets i try doing 1 or two sets of an easier variation of press up like hands raised, it seems to really nail the endurance getting that extra volume in with reduced weight, nearly always results in a minor increase of 1 or 2 in max press ups after a couple of recovery days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That makes sense I had a look at hand raises pressups as never heard of them before!
    I’ll have to try it spent the last few hours on YouTube going from fitness video to several more so hopefully I’ll be like a guru soon haha

6. cobb

cobb Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    AM - Arnys gym session (Few modifications)

weighted Tricep press up 3xFail
    weighted sit ups 3xFail
    weighted pull ups 3xFail
    weighted plank 3xFail
    Tricep press up 3xFail
    Sit ups 3xFail
    Pull ups 3xFail
    Plank 3xFail
    Knee Tricep press up 3xFail
    Half sits 3xFail
    Chin ups 3xFai
    Knee plank 3xFail

PM - 90 mins football training

•Next gym session I’m going to do 30 second rest between set & excercise instead of 60 seconds

7. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    A nice easy cycle to the field today and soon as I got to where I do the workout the sweat was just dripping off me was a good thing I brought a towel was beyond and that’s before I even did anything!
    Was 24* today so not the best time to choose to blast myself.

Everything seemed to go wrong today!

Was to attempt the bleep test today (level 9) after level 5 I was starting to struggle and couldn’t figure out way I blamed it on the heat and couldn’t think why I was only just catching the beeps so early on!
    Decided to stop at level 6 and re measured out what you know 21.1m ‍♂️ So yeah quality measuring from me there.

Completed the fintan workout but was having 10/15 seconds rest after each sprint before the next exercise as the sweating was relentless but still finished it.

Going for a nice cycle in a couple of hours to the beach and straight in that sea!

8. thirdtry

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    10k tempo run with some strides (mini sprints) thrown in.

Hit 26 degrees so definitely a nice hot one.

9. Langa please?

Langa please? Venerated Contributor

The heats a tough one day, I was out at 9am to avoid the worst of it and it was still baking!

10. thirdtry

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    VPJFT practice this morning. 29 Celsius here now which certainly made it cheeky.

Now I have my date booked in I'll be having a bit of a 'crash week' and doing it most days I think.

11. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Felt really under the weather since yesterday energless and a bit burnt!

Was only ment to do bodyweight exercise through the day as it’s usually a rest day so just *text deleted* relax today!

Looking forward to tomorrow to see if I can manage under 12.o0 in a solo 1.5mile run so that be good to find out.

12. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Casual 3 miler. Felt like I was running on the sun!

• Like Like x 1
  13. cobb

cobb Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    AM - Arnys Gym sesh
    •I’m only hitting 10-15 Press ups which is worrying hopefully I can see some gains soon

PM - 8K steady run = 41:45

• Like Like x 1
  14. thirdtry

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Another mock VPJFT to warm up this morning, then just finished a disgusting HIIT session.

Tabatas for each of the following, 3-5 mins rest between each Tabata to allow the HR to fully recover and smash each one at full intensity:

- Jump Squats
    - Clean & Press @20kg Sandbag
    - Walking Lunges @20kg Sandbag
    - Push Press (Squat & Press) @20kg Sandbag
    - Squats @20kg Sandbag

Then 12-10-8 Pull-Ups and 22-18-16 Decline Press-Ups (feet up on a chair) to pump up the upper body at the end.

-----

Anyone unfamiliar with Tabata. It's a 4 minute round of 8 sets of work for 20 secs, with 10 secs rest between each. The idea is to give MAX effort for each 20 second working set so you get near to your max heart rate, then rest a little, then get it up again etc etc. Best taking 3-5 mins rest between each exercise so you can fully recover again and maximise the value.

15. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Attempted 1.5 mile to get under 12.00.

All my laps were around 2.02 until the 5th lap where I slowed down to much! I planned on running the last 200m as a 75% sprint.
    Came to the last lap time was 10.27 so didn’t give myself much room at all! sprinted last 100m ended up coming in at 12.04 typical!
    This was more to see if I could get under 12.00 and now after this it’s just the timing that let me down!
    Very happy tho considering 4/5 weeks ago was doing it in just under 14.00!

I need to start working on my pacing which I know will take practise at the distance but knowing I can now run that distance back to back and not in a shameful time anymore I’m pretty pleased with!

What’s the best way to get quicker times at 1.5mile?Is it just consistency and doing it frequent?

• Like Like x 2
  16. WHATAMELT

WHATAMELT New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Good effort! Keep up the work and you'll have it in no time!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou appreciate it

Yeah for sure just a matter of time now!

18. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

Run, run, run!

Run easy runs, long runs intervals, reps, threshold runs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Okay cheers

Wasn’t sure if it was better to work on intervals say 400/800m as it’s not the distance that i feels an issue now as I can run up to 3mile.
    It’s the overall pace (time) I need to get down , If i attempted a 5 mile run at around (10min/mile) I could probably manage it but ask me to do a 1.5mile in 6.40mile pace (10min) id be pretty sure i couldn’t manage that pace for the full 10min!

Today I did.

1.5mile - 12.04

20x hill sprints - (5 squats , 100m jog after each hill) the 100m jog was the rest.

1.4mile jog home (just casual)

When I did the 1.5mile run I planned on doing 6x 2min laps (12.00) but noticed after the halfway point it was the pace I was concerned about as i didn’t know if I could maintain it as it was a fast pace for me as I’m used to doing 2.20 laps.
    Only reason I had 12.04 and not 12.40+ was because I did the last lap in 1.37 which I had to dig in to get!

20. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

That’s an endurance thing mate. Personally, I waited until I could easily run 8 miles in an hour (7:30 pace) before I started to do much speed work. It’s a slow process!