Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Your last session/workout!

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by m2013, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m not someone who’s *text deleted* be running 10+ miles any time soon and I don’t have 12/18 months to build up to that either joys of being old and heavy!

What sort of speed work would you suggest helps with 1.5/3 mile running times? The distance isn’t the issue it’s just trying to get used to running the distance at quicker times!

2. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

D1DCF574-75F4-476B-A130-382A163256D1.jpeg
    Might be worth investing in a pair of these then! ;):D

Intervals
    Example: 2-4 minutes (1 mile best effort pace plus roughly 30 seconds) on, ~2 minutes low intensity, perhaps slow jogging or walking.

Repetitions:
    Example: 2 minutes (about current 1 mile best effort pace), 4-6 minutes rest.

Repetitions are faster than intervals but the difference is the rest is longer than the rep. With intervals, the rest is typically a little less than the length of the interval.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  3. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Haha they’d be handy! I think as long as I can build up to around 5/6mile in the next 3 months ill be more than happy with that!

I got you so basically for me it’s just doing sets of 1600m with 4-6 minutes rest after each set.
    How many intervals/sets would you normally do for something like this 3,4,5?

Does this sort of workout fall under the same as hill sprints (high intensity) where you’d only do this once a week or is it just person specific?

Ay give it time ill be posting similar endurance runs to yourself just probably in 3x the time you do it in!

4. Harry McRunFast

I’m a bit lost here? You run reps of 1600m? That’s a mile... Why don’t you just run them consecutively?
    It depends. Professional runners do upwards of 15 x 400m type workouts... I’d suggest maybe 6x400 to start with...
    I wouldn’t suggest doing it more than twice per week.

Principles of Training

Types of Training

Jack will set you straight!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

No I was just saying as I do it on a 400m track (4x=1mile) was just using the term so I’ll be doing sets of 1600m confused myself then haha.

Well I’ve *text deleted* up the mileage next week again so I’m thinking after I do the 1.5mile again(Friday) I’ll start adding these 6/8 x400m workouts for straight after it!

Is there a time I should stick to for each lap like a cut off? Or is there a % effort you should give each lap regardless of time?
    I do each lap at a comfortable pace 2.15 but of course that’s pretty slow overall!

cheers for that I’ll have a look now!

6. Harry McRunFast

Watch the videos he explains it far better than I could.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    @Mattys

No disrespect, but to me it seems your getting to hung up on the numbers and weather your doing the right “workout” at the right time.

You say you can already run 3 miles comfortably and that you want to build upto 5/6 miles in the next 3 months, if you can manage 3 already, what’s stopping you getting them extra 2?

I appreciate you may be hesitant to even attempt that distance due to being “old and heavy”, but is that not a mental barrier you’ve created?

I understand the importance of safely increasing training intensity (especially on a site with an aim of helping people joining the Royal Marines), but there comes a time when you need to take on the mindset of a Commando, bite the bullet and get the job done, an extra 2 miles on a one off isn’t going to break you.

The speed will come naturally as your body becomes more efficient at running. My advice? Run every other day, form a habit, stretch daily, if you’ve got time stretch off twice a day.. I challenge you on your next run to get 5 miles in the bag.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  8. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I can run 3 mile now yeah but not in a time that is even worth mentioning!
    I’ve upped the distance every week for the past 6 weeks from doing 400m laps(casual pace)but as I’m still carrying extra weight i didn’t *text deleted* keep upping the distance to frequently just incase I overstep my mark and injure myself! As there has to be a limit where you say I’ll work on this distance for a while as if I tried 5 mile now then why not try 7 mile 2 weeks later there has to be a point where I stay at a distance until I can crack that comfortably (time wise) if that makes sense?
    So would like to get a return on the bft time around 11.00 then if I manage that can keep progressing with it and start increasing my mileage on other days of the week.

Yeah I appreciate that mindset and I understand it I really do I’m nowhere near that level physically I know this myself if someone could only run 6/7 mile I wouldn’t advise them to go do a half marathon because it may be a step to far for their current levels.
    You get people who come on here can’t do 2 miles then you get others who post 10+ miles just people at different fitness levels but everyone starts from the bottom and works their way up.

I come on here just asking for the best approach to get my 1.5 mile times down as I’ve only just today attempted it for time and realised it’s the pace I need to work on.

So these were the questions I asked myself earlier.

Would doing 1.5 mile runs regular get my time down?
    Would doing a 4/5 mile casual pace make me run a 1.5 mile run quicker?
    Would doing intervals 400/800m (best effort) improve my 1.5 mile time?

I failed pjft start of 2018 although ill that day i wasn’t prepared for it! I could run 5.2 mile on a treadmill (never attempted outside) but I failed because I couldn’t handle the pace of a 10.00 return time as I never trained for that speed.
    So if the pjft comes back or when it comes to a bft I need to be able to run at that pace so was just looking for advice on how others got their times down for it when they started off.

9. thirdtry

thirdtry Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    To be honest mate short of the multiple times we've told you it's about mileage, I'm going to put a reminder of the "KISS" principle. It means "Keep It Simple, Stupid" or "Keep it stupidly simple" depending how pleasant you want it to be.

At the end of the day the only thing that's genuinely ever brought my BFT time down is just sheer max effort. Every time I run it I'm on the edge of collapsing.

Honestly it should feel like a sprint that you somehow maintain for the distance.

At home I use lamp posts as markers. Basically tell myself to give 100% to the next one then when I reach it I tell myself to give 100% to the next etc until it's over.

At CTC it's actually quite fun to mark off in your head because there's set features on the route you can use, such as the first corner, the hairpin turn around the PTI, and the infamous 500m sign.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  10. Harry McRunFast

@Mattys

Given your stated current ability, I promise you, you will obtain a significantly greater return by focusing on running easy paced running until you get to roughly the 7:30 mark for miles and miles like I said, (8 miles in 60 minutes).

For example, I think it is very unlikely that anyone who can run a 9:30 return would struggle to run 5 miles in 40 minutes, it just works like that.
    My bold.
    1) Yes, but only to a point, and an 11:00-12:00 return is probably close to that limit.
    2) See beginning of post.
    3) Only if part of a complete programme, and if you have the endurance to maintain the speed.

———

Below is a programme I wrote for someone else on here. Maybe give it a look over and see what you can use in your own training mate. Hope it helps.

Month 1
    Cycle 1 (2 weeks): 9 miles
    Monday: 3 x 1 mile, with 5 min rest
    Wednesday: 3 x 1 mile, with 5 min rest
    Friday: 3 x 1 mile, with 5 min rest

Cycle 2 (2 weeks): 9 miles
    Monday: 2 miles, 5 min rest, 1 mile
    Wednesday: 2 miles, 5 min rest, 1 mile
    Friday: 2 miles, 5 min rest, 1 mile

Month 2
    Cycle 3 (2 weeks): 10 miles
    Monday: 4 miles
    Wednesday: 3 miles
    Friday: 3 miles

Cycle 4 (2 weeks): 13 miles
    Monday: 5 miles
    Wednesday: 3 miles
    Friday: 5 miles

Month 3
    Cycle 5 (2 weeks): 15 miles
    Monday: 5 miles
    Wednesday: 5 miles

Cycle 6 (2 weeks): 18 miles
    Monday: 6 miles
    Tuesday: 4 miles
    Wednesday: REST
    Thursday: 4 miles
    Friday: 4 miles

Month 4
    Cycle 7 (4 weeks): 22 miles
    Monday: 7 miles
    Tuesday: 4 miles
    Thursday: 6 miles

Month 5
    Cycle 8 ( 4 weeks): 25 miles
    Monday: 8 miles
    Tuesday: 5 miles
    Thursday: 6.5 miles
    Friday: 5.5 miles

Once you get to cycle 7, I’d recommend taking every 4th week as a de-load week. So drop one of the runs, perhaps 2, and reduce the weekly mileage by about 30%-50%.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Appreciate that just so many workouts/routines out their just don’t know what is genuine (has an effect or just made up tosh!
    So best effort on what your training for seems the best approach so training pacific.
    If I gave 100% on a 1.5mile I’d be done half way! Ha

I used to do that years ago when jut doing extra training for football the nightlights were around 50m apart on a nice open stretch for around 500m used to sprint to one then jog to the next etc.
    Yeh that’s a good way to look at it to bad I’m far away from that as of yet!

Does that running 9.30 return more than likely can run 5 mile apply the other way tho? Such as if someone can run 5+mile they can get a sub 1.5 mile 10.00 return?

That’s a good workout you shoulda just replied with that’s straight away! Haha

When you say cycle 1 as an example.
    Do you do best effort so 100% effort for each 3x 1 mile? So mine would currently be around 8.00 per mile but as it’s only a mile I could get that to around 7.40 for I reckon!

I do next weeks workout tomorrow so I think I can jump straight to cycle 2 will have to try work it out properly so I can fit the bleep test/fintan in also but definitely need to 3 day a week this sort of workout now.

Thanks again appreciate the detailed info

12. Harry McRunFast

It was just a generalised statement about fitness levels and I just pulled the numbers out of my head to make a point. You can’t run fast for any amount of time without endurance, and you build endurance by running easy miles.
    See below.
    Your pace will eventually pick up as you do more miles, as @Hyperhippo said:
    You’ve just got to run more. There are no short cuts.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  13. Langa please?

Langa please? Venerated Contributor

Thanks for posting these videos, had a little delve further into some more of his work and it's really beneficial stuff.

14. Harry McRunFast

No worries mate!

15. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Resting and stretching my knee at the moment so just able to perform Bodyweight movements, kept it simple.

Tue - 1hr Stretching

Wed - 1hr Stretching

Thu -
    Press Ups: 48, 24x3
    Sit Ups: 85, 40x3
    Plank: 1:30 x4

1hr Stretching

Friday -
    Press Ups: 50, 25x3
    Sit Ups: 85, 40x3
    Plank: 1:30 x4

1hr Stretching

Pretty comfortable and confident with my BW ability, eager to get back into running again once the knee has healed

16. Langa please?

Not a last session/workout but probably beneficial to most following this thread.

Further to some videos @Harry McRunFast posted, I came across this one. I had noticed myself that when I consciously controlled my breathing on runs I had been performing significantly better, its very easy to neglect your breathing on the higher tempo runs. It sounds like common sense but I very rarely see it mentioned anywhere, the video below does a really good job explaining breathing rate to get the optimum oxygen supply.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It works and applies in every area of fitness. I’ve managed to control my breathing during circuit training and bw gainers to a point where I can breath entirely through my nose which for me controls my breathing more and for what ever reason I can perform more reps.

So as you have, I would recommend this to anyone to try.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Langa please?

Do you control the rhythm through the eccentric/concentric movements?

19. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You are right he explains it very well was very interesting also proper old school!

Just been trying the 2 out 2 in breathing to see what it’s like probably be 17 out 1 in when I’m blowing out my ar.se

20. Harry McRunFast

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020