Your last session/workout!

smashlegs

Reaction score
Yesterday - Complete Rest Day

Not had one in over a week so was well due.

Today - Benchmark Run as part of a new programme I’m starting through my Garmin’s FR 245

1.5mile Warm Up, 5mins hard but not best effort (1.15km / 7min mile pace)

Nothing flash or much but I’ve had a very intense week of training, nice to be able to run properly again after injury without any dramas so very happy! Still keeping up with the stretching, it’s clearly working it’s magic.

smashlegs

Reaction score
(I didn’t do the extra push ups and pull ups in one set :D)

The vPJFT is tougher than I’d anticipated. Got it soon, certainly need some practice!
Ahaha still strong regardless mate in all areas! I take it the VPJFT was back to back? Yeah it’s demanding in its own way, especially when your dragging your arse into the latter rounds. My next VPJFT mock will be upped from 5sets to 6sets so I’m coming after you ;)

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just passed vPJFT+ so happy days :D thankfully no warnings and the Cpl gave a slight chuck-up at the end for a strong performance, which is a good confidence boost. Going to call AFCO to book ROP then do a strength & conditioning session,

Tabata:
- Bastards
- Clean & Press @20kg sandbag
- Jump Squats

Then some pull-ups, decline press-ups and sandbag walking lunges at the end.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just passed vPJFT+ so happy days :D thankfully no warnings and the Cpl gave a slight chuck-up at the end for a strong performance, which is a good confidence boost. Going to call AFCO to book ROP then do a strength & conditioning session,

Tabata:
- Bastards
- Jump Squats

Congratulations mate!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations mate!
Cheers mate.

Definitely recommend just doing it over and over again as the first time I practiced it a month or so ago it caught me out despite doing quite a lot of circuit training already. Just done it 3x per week as a warm up for strength sessions since then.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers mate.

Definitely recommend just doing it over and over again as the first time I practiced it a month or so ago it caught me out despite doing quite a lot of circuit training already. Just done it 3x per week as a warm up for strength sessions since then.
Absolutely mate, there's a lot to be said for specificity in training!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Tabata:
- Bastards
- Jump Squats

Nice one fella!
When you hoping to start ROP?

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one fella!
When you hoping to start ROP?
AFCO have just told me that an August date has been created now, so hopefully then. But if not then 14 Sept.

All depends on security clearance now. Been "in progress" since early May. Note to anyone who comes out of training the first time, don't go and work abroad for a few years if you want to rejoin -banghead- living in the Middle East, Hong Kong, Thailand and a few other places has completely thrown a cog in it haha

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
AFCO have just told me that an August date has been created now, so hopefully then. But if not then 14 Sept.

All depends on security clearance now. Been "in progress" since early May. Note to anyone who comes out of training the first time, don't go and work abroad for a few years if you want to rejoin -banghead- living in the Middle East, Hong Kong, Thailand and a few other places has completely thrown a cog in it haha
That’s good stuff then! Surprised on an August date with summer leave unless that’s been re arranged!?

Haha yeah to bh tho this is exactly what I’ve been thinking of reapplying now and getting everything else out the way first but was bit wary as im not currently ready.
Took me 11 weeks last time for the SC to be passed!

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Morning Workout:
vPJFT+ Circuit

———

5 Continuous Rounds:
• 20 press ups
• 20 double crunches
• 20 squat jumps
• 20 chest-to-floor burpees
• 800m run

Savage.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
@thirdtry well done mate. Passed mine last week and I’ve also been given the provisional date of 14 Sept, but still waiting to hear back from my CA.

Good luck with the SC brother. Hope it comes through soon!

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
vPJFT Circuit
10 pull ups with max dead hang/30 press ups/9 pull ups with max dead hang/30 press ups down to 1 just for a bit of a pump!

jaketyghoust

Reaction score
Started off with
Press ups - 50
Sit ups - 85
Pull ups - 10
Then i did 4 four rounds of the below circuit. (copied this idea from someone on here)
press ups 25.
Sit ups 45.
Pull ups 5.

then finished with 6 rounds with a 25kg sandbag
15 cleans
12 shoulder press
15 bench dips
45s plank
10 sandbag rows
1km assault bike best effort.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thighs were ruined before I even started today!
Very miserable wet day but my favourite for working out in.

400m warm up

3x 1 mile (5min rest after each one)

mile 1 - 8.23
mile 2 - 8.58
mile 3 - 9.08

Fintan workout

400m warm down

LilInac

Reaction score
Hey fella

What’s your heigh/weight?

I myself struggled alot with pullups as it’s something I’ve never done.
Your weight will make a massive difference to how well you improve!
I bought all the thickness bands not to long ago but I started doing dead hangs first.
You hang on the bar for say 10 seconds then jump down so something like this..

Hang 10sec , rest 30sec , repeat this 5 times every other day.

You need to have grip strength in your arms something I didn’t realise at the time! But I did this and worked up to 10x 60sec dead hangs which made a massive difference!.
Because your a heavy person like I was doing negatives will ask for an injury especially if you can’t hold your body weight so I wouldn’t advise doing them until you get used to the bands but that’s down to you.
There’s no point doing say 3 sets of 5 if 14/15 are terrible form where your kicking your legs for momentum not getting your chin above the bar and not holding urself there for a second etc
If I was you I would stick to lower reps so say 7 x 1 you need to prioritise form so that way you no how well your actually progressing.

Trust me I couldn’t do a single pullup 2 months ago I couldn’t hang on the bar for more than 5 seconds without my arms giving in but once the weight was coming off and I went from doing dead hangs to using the bands regular it’s made a massive difference.

So do something like..

7x 1 (thick band) - When you can do these with proper form so legs straight (knee in band) chin above bar,

Then...

3x 2 (next thickness band)

When you start noticing good progress then just either you the reps or sets and no and again test yourself on a thinner band to see how you fair.

So if your doing 3x 5 (good form) then try one or two reps at a harder band before you do those just to see how you do as you might surprise yourself!

Losing weight , getting grip strength , using correct form , consistency is what will make you improve if you stick with it!
Don’t worry if you can’t do more than a couple with the thickest band even if their singles just make sure the reps are correct form and you will get better quicker!
If you can record yourself doing them would help you to see where your going wrong (form)

Many thanks for the information in the post appreciated !
Never ever tried pull ups before first try, im currently 230lbs at 6’4 ish I am about high teens body fat percent 18%. Big fella goes against me a lot of ways !! I’m currently trying to shed down to 210lbs ish or so but it’s a slow run I’ve lost a good lot of weight Over the past 2 years about 80lb in total!
Grip strength is somthing I think I should work on, I do work on deadlifts i wonder would rhat help? Also the dead hangs sound good I currently have the highest resistance band at the moment, if you where in my situation would you say dead hangs for now? And slowly up the hangs time wise ? I’m at the gym tmoro having a look this evening with pull ups I think one of the problems was getting up to the band I had to put the band around my knee not my foot I wonder would that have made it more harder ?
Many thanks !

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Many thanks for the information in the post appreciated !
Never ever tried pull ups before first try, im currently 230lbs at 6’4 ish I am about high teens body fat percent 18%. Big fella goes against me a lot of ways !! I’m currently trying to shed down to 210lbs ish or so but it’s a slow run I’ve lost a good lot of weight Over the past 2 years about 80lb in total!
Grip strength is somthing I think I should work on, I do work on deadlifts i wonder would rhat help? Also the dead hangs sound good I currently have the highest resistance band at the moment, if you where in my situation would you say dead hangs for now? And slowly up the hangs time wise ? I’m at the gym tmoro having a look this evening with pull ups I think one of the problems was getting up to the band I had to put the band around my knee not my foot I wonder would that have made it more harder ?
Many thanks !
That’s no worries that’s what this forum is for!

Yeah being heavy most certainly has its downsides when it comes to running and bodyweight exercises!!
Fairplay you’ve done well there just shows if you keep sticking with what your doing it will keep coming off!
Personally you should just train exactly the same as what your trying to get better at. I went through a stage of using the lat pull down and assisted pull up machine to help me which neither did this is why I resorted to the bands as it’s exactly the same form just with assistance.
In all honest it depends how you actually are with the bands?
How many good form pull ups can you do with the thickest band wether it’s reps/sets? I had to do dead hangs because I was 223lbs and I could barely hold my weight just dead hanging for 5 seconds as my body just wasn’t used to that so trying to do a pull up even with the band was pointless if I couldn’t hold the bar.
With the thicker bands you have to use your knee as they don’t stretch very much I think it’s only the 2 thinnest ones you can actually get your foot in!
Just stick to what *text deleted* doing for losing weight maybe jump up the bar and see how long you can hang for before you have to drop? And when your doing the thickest band pullups see how many reps you do correctly before your form goes so if you can only do 3x 3 then see how fatigued/form is doing 3x 2 then if still struggling just do single reps.

LilInac

Reaction score
That’s no worries that’s what this forum is for!

Yeah being heavy most certainly has its downsides when it comes to running and bodyweight exercises!!
Fairplay you’ve done well there just shows if you keep sticking with what your doing it will keep coming off!
Personally you should just train exactly the same as what your trying to get better at. I went through a stage of using the lat pull down and assisted pull up machine to help me which neither did this is why I resorted to the bands as it’s exactly the same form just with assistance.
In all honest it depends how you actually are with the bands?
How many good form pull ups can you do with the thickest band wether it’s reps/sets? I had to do dead hangs because I was 223lbs and I could barely hold my weight just dead hanging for 5 seconds as my body just wasn’t used to that so trying to do a pull up even with the band was pointless if I couldn’t hold the bar.
With the thicker bands you have to use your knee as they don’t stretch very much I think it’s only the 2 thinnest ones you can actually get your foot in!
Just stick to what *text deleted* doing for losing weight maybe jump up the bar and see how long you can hang for before you have to drop? And when your doing the thickest band pullups see how many reps you do correctly before your form goes so if you can only do 3x 3 then see how fatigued/form is doing 3x 2 then if still struggling just do single reps.
Many thanks !
I’ve been looking at some videos about the bands going to try a few techniques tomorrow, to be honest my form wasn’t that bad I could manage 5 pull ups ish in a go, and today my back/lats are fairly sore which is somthing I haven’t really felt in a while as I’ve been training back twice a week with weights, pull ups really did make me sweat and make the heart go! Going to try tomorrow, might add a few negetive pull ups with the bands! Thanks for the advice I’m hoping in a few months they’ll get better with time going to buy a pull up bar for home I think when I get the next pay check !

Edit

going to try and do exercises that would strengthen the pull up, dead hangs and I heard kneeling lat pulldowns are better then the sit down pulldowns
Going to try
Dead hangs ( prob with the band)
Band pull ups
Kneeling lat pulldowns
Pull up negetives
Bend over rows

Last edited:

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Many thanks !
I’ve been looking at some videos about the bands going to try a few techniques tomorrow, to be honest my form wasn’t that bad I could manage 5 pull ups ish in a go, and today my back/lats are fairly sore which is somthing I haven’t really felt in a while as I’ve been training back twice a week with weights, pull ups really did make me sweat and make the heart go! Going to try tomorrow, might add a few negetive pull ups with the bands! Thanks for the advice I’m hoping in a few months they’ll get better with time going to buy a pull up bar for home I think when I get the next pay check !

Edit

going to try and do exercises that would strengthen the pull up, dead hangs and I heard kneeling lat pulldowns are better then the sit down pulldowns
Going to try
Dead hangs ( prob with the band)
Band pull ups
Kneeling lat pulldowns
Pull up negetives
Bend over rows
‘In all honest I wouldn’t do any weights id just focus on everything that related to the exercise so doing that exercise regular will see the improvement.
I used to do inverted rows , bicep curls , all that stuff but dropped it all and just started focusing on what’s required.

If you do dead hangs don’t use the band you will see better and quicker improvement just hanging there with your whole weight that’s where you get better , even if you can only do a few sets of 15 seconds then that’s where you start off u use the bands to get used to the correct form and help u improve on them the dead hangs are o get your body used to holding your own body weight with no assistance if that makes sense?

Yeah id advise getting a pull up bar I have a station in the garden cost me £55 if I remember which I use the bands on and got a doorframe bar which was £20 but difficult to use as although I’m only 5 foot I still have to bend the legs! *text deleted* so I rarely use that!

Yeah the face your back is sore is a good sign with the weight loss and frequent pull ups you’ll get used to that technique in no time!