Your last session/workout!

Corvo50

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I thought you was just referring to the 9 mile speed march.

Yeah I appreciate that but it’s just person specific , Some people who come on here are overweight and unfit and are aspiring to maybe have a career in the military and come on this forum to ask for help wether it weight loss or general advice on their training routine and how to get better at it.
In my situation I didn’t do any physical exercise for 18 months for medical reasons and only started back up doing it again in May so would you advise someone who was carrying 4 stone extra weight and no running backround or physical exercise in that period to lace up a pair of boots and get running?

Theres probably a lot of people who don’t join this forum and post who just browse with the fear they will get ridiculed for not being at a commando level or their current fitness levels will be mocked because their nowhere near the basic standards let alone what’s to be expected through training.

I appreciate why you say you should run in boots as running in trainers is rarely done but at the same time people have to get used to running if their not used to it.
Nobody who starts off running does ridiculous miles or fast times they build up to it and the fact your telling me to get a pair of boots and run in them I’m not sure that’s very smart advice.

Id be very interested to know how many of those who are in the current application are actually running in boots?

Corvo when you applied how often or far was you running in boots? And did you do this when you started off running or did you create a foundation for running first?
Just be interesting to know as others I’m sure will look at this and see your a royal marine and I’m sure will take it as strong advice.
when I was in the application stage I would do around 2 booted runs a week and the circuits I conducted would be in boots. Quite a few lads in my troop really struggled running due to the simple fact that they had never used them. They weren’t unfit in any way whatsoever they just couldn’t shift fast enough with essentially a new piece of kit on there feet.

Do a booted run and see how you get on, because your a bigger lad you might actually find it a breeze.

@Langa please? Not putting the lad down, as I’ve been on a TT I have seen where lads fall short and a lot of it is due to the way they trained prior to coming down.

Jrod7

Reaction score
when I was in the application stage I would do around 2 booted runs a week and the circuits I conducted would be in boots. Quite a few lads in my troop really struggled running due to the simple fact that they had never used them. They weren’t unfit in any way whatsoever they just couldn’t shift fast enough with essentially a new piece of kit on there feet.

Do a booted run and see how you get on, because your a bigger lad you might actually find it a breeze.

@Langa please? Not putting the lad down, as I’ve been on a TT I have seen where lads fall short and a lot of it is due to the way they trained prior to coming down.
What boots would you recommend getting? I know they used to issue the haix boots but I'm sure it's changed?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

When you started doing those 2 booted runs per week did you have a good running base already from running in trainers or when you started running to get fit did you just use boots straight away?
Ive done a fair bit of walking 8/10 mile with a weighted rucksack in these boots in the photo but there for terrain/mountain walking etc.

Can you point me into the direction or send me a link to boots that are used for running in the military similar or same to what’s used?
So even if I don’t do long runs in them I can use them regularly for weighted walks through the woods and stuff to get used to that sort of footwear.

Attachments

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday attempted a grizz phys workout. The workout as written was:

10 Burpees

10 Burpees 25 Pressups

10 Burpees 25 Pressups 50 Lunges

10 Burpees 25 Pressups 50 Lunges 100 Situps

10 Burpees 25 Pressups 50 Lunges 100 Situps 150 Air Squats

And then remove a move each round until your back at 10 burpees.

I got halfway through the lunges in the 5th set before reaching the time limit. Was hoping to get at least halfway but the situps really slowed me down which I broke up into 5 sets, and my cardio slowed me down a lot. Quite a poor effort *text deleted* but was a good challenge so will keep doing these workouts to push myself
Did you finish it off after the timecap or stop at the timecap?

ODB

Reaction score
Did you finish it off after the timecap or stop at the timecap?
Stopped at the timecap. Would have finished it off but was busy afterwards so had to fit in what I could. In the future I will definitely continue until finished though

Corvo50

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When you started doing those 2 booted runs per week did you have a good running base already from running in trainers or when you started running to get fit did you just use boots straight away?
Ive done a fair bit of walking 8/10 mile with a weighted rucksack in these boots in the photo but there for terrain/mountain walking etc.

Can you point me into the direction or send me a link to boots that are used for running in the military similar or same to what’s used?
So even if I don’t do long runs in them I can use them regularly for weighted walks through the woods and stuff to get used to that sort of footwear.
I have always liked Altberg Defenders myself, cheap enough on eBay. It’s not about even going miles and miles, it’s about conditioning your body so when it comes to entering RT it’s not a huge shock. Even walking to your local shop in them, get your feet hardened and get the blisters and running while not in training. And don’t let being a bigger lad hit your confidence in any way, you might find moving with a bergan a breeze and struggle on troop runs. Everybody has there weaknesses and strengths but the amount of times your in boots compared to trainers is significant.

Corvo50

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Fair enough, it just read that way to me but I must have interpreted wrong!
no worries, the main reason I said this is because I see lads coming down with these apparent hoofing times for there 3miler and then it soon becomes apparent that they have never ran in boots. Bit of a see off for them because straight away there playing catch up.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have always liked Altberg Defenders myself, cheap enough on eBay. It’s not about even going miles and miles, it’s about conditioning your body so when it comes to entering RT it’s not a huge shock. Even walking to your local shop in them, get your feet hardened and get the blisters and running while not in training. And don’t let being a bigger lad hit your confidence in any way, you might find moving with a bergan a breeze and struggle on troop runs. Everybody has there weaknesses and strengths but the amount of times your in boots compared to trainers is significant.
Cheers for that just looking at the different types of them now and it’s something which can help even if i just walk in them regular will benefit me in the long run hopefully.
Appreciate that I don’t intend on being a bigger lad much longer in all honest!

Griff149

Reaction score
On June 12th had my VPJFT+ and passed just about scraping by on the third round (picking up a couple warnings on the last set of press ups).

Been grinding over the last month hitting circuits in prep for the RROP in August. Thought I’d give it another go today to see how I’ve come on and managed to smash out all 4 rounds. Albeit was in complete agony for the last set and I now can’t move my shoulders above my head!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Scores tests just done now, probably do a Murph later.

BFT - 08:44
Press-Ups - 45
Sit-Ups - 85
Pull-Ups - 10

Both happy and disappointed there.

- Decent run time and felt like there's space for it to come down still.

- Awful Press-Ups! I was consistently hitting 60 before but stopped testing RMFA scores when I started training for VPJFT. I imagine these scores will come back up soon enough.

- Max Sit-Ups so happy there.

- Frustrating Pull-Ups. This was 10 to the bleep. Last week I hit 14 doing them in my own time so just need to keep bashing them out now. When I do Murph later I'll deliberately do them slowly.

Josh24

Reaction score
As someone put the other day going to use this thread to hold myself accountable for my fitness.

Am - 3 mile run - 8:56 return

Lunch - 10kg vest - 100 burpees, 100 situps, 100 pressups, 50 pullups completed in 10 sets of 10 and 5 for pull ups - 53:39

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Scores tests just done now, probably do a Murph later.

BFT - 08:44
Press-Ups - 45
Sit-Ups - 85
Pull-Ups - 10

Both happy and disappointed there.

- Decent run time and felt like there's space for it to come down still.

- Awful Press-Ups! I was consistently hitting 60 before but stopped testing RMFA scores when I started training for VPJFT. I imagine these scores will come back up soon enough.

- Max Sit-Ups so happy there.

- Frustrating Pull-Ups. This was 10 to the bleep. Last week I hit 14 doing them in my own time so just need to keep bashing them out now. When I do Murph later I'll deliberately do them slowly.
Still great scores mate! There's not a lot of volume press up wise in the VPJFT so its only natural your max may drop if focusing on that training. I'm sure it won't take long to push back up.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Still great scores mate! There's not a lot of volume press up wise in the VPJFT so its only natural your max may drop if focusing on that training. I'm sure it won't take long to push back up.
That's it, actually do a lot in circuits anyway but the RMFA bleeps are mega specific aren't they. Hopefully break 50 next week which should nicely lead into max scores by ROP.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ran a route I haven't been down for a few weeks and there was a good 3 mile stretch that was massively overgrown.

Legs look like they've been attacked by cats and smothered in nettles.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That's it, actually do a lot in circuits anyway but the RMFA bleeps are mega specific aren't they. Hopefully break 50 next week which should nicely lead into max scores by ROP.
Yeah definitely, the beeps just allow that lactate to build before you can get to the bigger numbers. One of those things were training to that specificity is key.

smashlegs

Reaction score
Yesterday - 30mins easy run @8:55, 5min warm up jog and 5min cool down jog then walk.

Today - vPJFT 3rounds mock, pass. Then straight into gainers so was very pre fatigued for these so wasn’t expecting to hit my maxes.
Press - 40, 20,20
Sit - 85, 40,40
Pull - 10, 5,5,5
Plank - 3:00, 2:30, 2:00

Then a weighted session for the upperbody in a couple of hours so that’ll be cheeky