Your last session/workout!

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Ta mate appreciate it.

I only post these really as I’m sure there is a lot of people who follow this page who are overweight , out of shape and see some of the racing snakes on here or those who post outrageous workouts and just be disheartened there and then and feel they have no chance as there’s no motivation there as you rarely ever see anyone post terrible workouts.
But by me positing mine since the very start although shameful at the time just a little bit of effort is put in and a weekly routine written up at the end of each week and it is stuck to will give those the confidence that an overweight 30 year old can see results quickly then so can they.
Mate, absolutely nothing shameful about any of the workouts I’ve seen you post on here. Everyone has a starting point. I’m sure I speak for a lot of guys and girls on here when I say your progress has been inspiring. Keep smashing it brother!

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Corona if it’s been bothering you for that long it needs addressing properly because you’re wasting your own time mate. I would just seek proper professional help if I was you.
Your better off getting them looked at sooner rather than later mate as everytime you do fitness you really don’t know if your doing more damage or not.
Yeah I have another physio booked in for next tuesday and then an appointment with nuffield health booked in for 1st week of August. Depending on what they say I might be heading to the GP and down whatever road that is, fingers crossed not one involving a PMU.

The only thing I would do if I was you would be to try just do running on a softer surface and leave hill sprints and running on the tarmac/concrete alone for a while. Try running on a field and see how that treats you and if your still getting the same issues you need to do as smashlegs pointed out and take a complete rest from running for a while say 4+ weeks and if you come back same issues again then you need to get it checked out sooner rather than later as waiting 6 months but still running inbetween won’t achieve anything but more setbacks if you don’t get to the bottom of it.
Are you a heavy weight?
I managed to do 3 rounds of the 3 mins walk 5 mins run today with minimal pain so hopefully I can use that as a base and work up. I'm not sure if my body is just 'structurally' weak as my shoulders are always getting injured just from circuits and working in care, so I'm thinking would it be worth putting it off a few years and joining the police until I've grown, but then I'm just delaying what I really want to do. Bit confused as to what to do. Not a heavyweight, more feather coming in at 65kg on a good day.

Thanks for all the help so far, appreciated

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Mate, absolutely nothing shameful about any of the workouts I’ve seen you post on here. Everyone has a starting point. I’m sure I speak for a lot of guys and girls on here when I say your progress has been inspiring. Keep smashing it brother!
I was just referring to the first ones I was posting haha
Cheers mate I appreciate it and your right everyone has to start somewhere regardless of at one point if you want it enough you will put the effort in.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I have another physio booked in for next tuesday and then an appointment with nuffield health booked in for 1st week of August. Depending on what they say I might be heading to the GP and down whatever road that is, fingers crossed not one involving a PMU.

I managed to do 3 rounds of the 3 mins walk 5 mins run today with minimal pain so hopefully I can use that as a base and work up. I'm not sure if my body is just 'structurally' weak as my shoulders are always getting injured just from circuits and working in care, so I'm thinking would it be worth putting it off a few years and joining the police until I've grown, but then I'm just delaying what I really want to do. Bit confused as to what to do. Not a heavyweight, more feather coming in at 65kg on a good day.

Thanks for all the help so far, appreciated
That’s good news fella the only thing with the physio is it’s difficult for them to pin point an injury as you’ve already seen 5 and the majority of the time they will give you stretches to do or light workouts but if you go GP route you can get scans and get to the bottom of it and at least you will no then.

Its hard to say really at 18 and running for 12 minutes and as light as you are getting those frequent pains in my opinion isn’t normal especially when you’ve said it urself you’ve had several spells where you’ve just rested for long periods of time and then come back and still same issue.
I wouldn’t just give up now and do something else because your getting injured stick with you ambitions of the marines as you will still need to do physical tests in the police as you could have an underlying condition you just never know.

ODB

Reaction score
Ta mate appreciate it.

I only post these really as I’m sure there is a lot of people who follow this page who are overweight , out of shape and see some of the racing snakes on here or those who post outrageous workouts and just be disheartened there and then and feel they have no chance as there’s no motivation there as you rarely ever see anyone post terrible workouts.
But by me positing mine since the very start although shameful at the time just a little bit of effort is put in and a weekly routine written up at the end of each week and it is stuck to will give those the confidence that an overweight 30 year old can see results quickly then so can they.
Rate this a lot mate. Haven't really seen your start but can see you're constantly improving. My fitness is poor at the moment but post it as it gives me some accountability, but seeing you're improvement is a good boost to get on it. Well done man.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Rate this a lot mate. Haven't really seen your start but can see you're constantly improving. My fitness is poor at the moment but post it as it gives me some accountability, but seeing you're improvement is a good boost to get on it. Well done man.
This is my 1st workout from May 17th.

I was doing 10x 400m jogs with 2min rest after each one as that’s where I was at with running so sais it all really!

I guarantee you if you create a weekly fitness plan and don’t cut corners or decide on a running day when it’s terrible weather you’ll do it tomorrow or you cba you will see results quickly.

If you just tell yourself your going to do a workout tomorrow that’s not the same effect or motivation as having a printed out fitness plan for the next few weeks that will give you the drive to keep working out and when you progress you can make the next weeks routine a bit harder and then look back on it and see the amount of progress you’ve made on it all.

Attachments

HAWJ94

Reaction score
Might come across as a stupid question but is there any difference between running on soft grass to running on a hard surface(tarmac,concrete) time wise?

I do all my running on soft grass just till I get used to running as I know the impact isn’t as much but at the same time your feet sink a bit into the grass which doesn’t happen on a hard surface so not sure if the running demand is harder doing it on one or the other?

Anyone found their times vary on different surfaces?
force production is higher on tarmac, therefore your ground contact time is less. Grass absorbs force because it’s a soft ground (consider running on soft sand as the opposite of running on tarmac, force production is low and gct is high - therefore you don’t run as fast).

ideally - high force with low gct is what you want - but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Get used to running on both from an injury perspective. Tarmac is hard and produces a lot of return forces, however grass could cause a greater change in technique and therefore induce injury through technical error.

my grass work is intervals, broncos, circuits etc so I’ll gain grass miles on there. My distance and hills work is done on tarmac.

(In simple - do both. Don’t stress it too much)

ODB

Reaction score
This is my 1st workout from May 17th.

I was doing 10x 400m jogs with 2min rest after each one as that’s where I was at with running so sais it all really!

I guarantee you if you create a weekly fitness plan and don’t cut corners or decide on a running day when it’s terrible weather you’ll do it tomorrow or you cba you will see results quickly.

If you just tell yourself your going to do a workout tomorrow that’s not the same effect or motivation as having a printed out fitness plan for the next few weeks that will give you the drive to keep working out and when you progress you can make the next weeks routine a bit harder and then look back on it and see the amount of progress you’ve made on it all.
Nice one mate. Will write up a stricter plan so I have no room to miss stuff out. Had been planning my workouts more loosely so far.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
force production is higher on tarmac, therefore your ground contact time is less. Grass absorbs force because it’s a soft ground (consider running on soft sand as the opposite of running on tarmac, force production is low and gct is high - therefore you don’t run as fast).

ideally - high force with low gct is what you want - but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Get used to running on both from an injury perspective. Tarmac is hard and produces a lot of return forces, however grass could cause a greater change in technique and therefore induce injury through technical error.

my grass work is intervals, broncos, circuits etc so I’ll gain grass miles on there. My distance and hills work is done on tarmac.

(In simple - do both. Don’t stress it too much)
Appreciate the feedback

Theres been a few times on grass where I’ve rolled my ankle but luckily not done any damage! Was just curious as I’ve done all my running on grass and now started doing smaller runs on tarmac all be it on hills mainly just didn’t know if there’s was much difference speed wise in your time if you gave the same 100% effort on either surface would the times be significantly different.

Nice one mate. Will write up a stricter plan so I have no room to miss stuff out. Had been planning my workouts more loosely so far.
Thats no worries mate just having a plan that’s written out rather than just in your head is the way to go with it. how’s your fitness coming along now?

HAWJ94

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback

Theres been a few times on grass where I’ve rolled my ankle but luckily not done any damage! Was just curious as I’ve done all my running on grass and now started doing smaller runs on tarmac all be it on hills mainly just didn’t know if there’s was much difference speed wise in your time if you gave the same 100% effort on either surface would the times be significantly different.
No problem mate

I’d definitely keep the grass runs in there, just gradually add in the road running. Road running should be faster, but depending on distance probably not significantly faster.
Go run a mile on the road and a mile on grass and compare times. Experiment on yourself.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No problem mate

I’d definitely keep the grass runs in there, just gradually add in the road running. Road running should be faster, but depending on distance probably not significantly faster.
Go run a mile on the road and a mile on grass and compare times. Experiment on yourself.
Yeah for sure I enjoy running on the grass a lot more but I know in time I will make the switch and run it mainly on tarmac.
That’s a good idea don’t know why I haven’t just tried that as of yet *text deleted*

Cheers fella

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday AM:

- Tabata OHP @30kg
- Tabata Pull-Ups
- Tabata Decline Press-Ups
- Tabata BO Rows @30kg

GrizzPhys AMRAP 15 Mins
- 20 Jumping Lunges (10/leg)
- 10 Burpees
- 20 Mountain Climbers (10/leg)
- 10 Press-Ups

20 leg raises and 1 minute plank to finish, got lazy with core this week but some is better than none

PM:
6 mile tempo run

-------

Today just about to do 9 miler slow/easy and will pick another GrizzPhys one for tonight

Josh24

Reaction score
Earning some Saturday evening beer tokens - 6 miler at 9 mins a mile nice and comfortable.

Straight into - 10kg vest -100 burpees, 100 pressups, 100 situps, 50 pull ups and 50 sandbags throw overs.

This puts me at around 21 - 23 miles on the feet this week most I've done in a long time of fear of getting shin splints again. Couple days off recovering preparing for the next week ahead!

ODB

Reaction score
Thats no worries mate just having a plan that’s written out rather than just in your head is the way to go with it. how’s your fitness coming along now?
To be honest mate I have been slacking a bit the last couple weeks. Cardio is quite poor, but can do 3 miles in just over 30 minutes but even that's from just pushing through it. Improving at situps and my pressups and pullups are difficult to judge as I've switched to strict RM test form on this. I think it will be good for me now the gyms have opened as I'll be doing a 3 mile run back and generally enjoy weights more. Will be easier to implement the other stuff while I'm there I think. In all honesty, I think the last 2-3 weeks I've had a bit of a slump and have probably been drinking and smoking too much. Getting back on track tomorrow though. Will stick to the royal marines 12 week plan but do my own weight sessions, and add in some extra runs and the odd grizz phys workout

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest mate I have been slacking a bit the last couple weeks. Cardio is quite poor, but can do 3 miles in just over 30 minutes but even that's from just pushing through it. Improving at situps and my pressups and pullups are difficult to judge as I've switched to strict RM test form on this. I think it will be good for me now the gyms have opened as I'll be doing a 3 mile run back and generally enjoy weights more. Will be easier to implement the other stuff while I'm there I think. In all honesty, I think the last 2-3 weeks I've had a bit of a slump and have probably been drinking and smoking too much. Getting back on track tomorrow though. Will stick to the royal marines 12 week plan but do my own weight sessions, and add in some extra runs and the odd grizz phys workout
Any reason why you’ve been slacking is it a motivation thing or just being to busy?
A lot of people can’t even run 3 miles mate so no shame in that time at all!

In all honest you *text deleted* prioritise the 3 mile runs and your cardio over weights first as your struggling to do that distance now which you said your pushing through it now will you manage if you’ve just destroyed yourself on the weights in the gym?
Dont fall into the trap of doing your runs on the treadmill and thinking it will be the same as outside if anything I would just do your runs on different days to your gym sessions that way you can always give 100%.

How often do you currently run in the week as just a run (like your 3 mile run)?

I understand if you enjoy weights but you really *text deleted* work on the most that you struggle with first which is getting outside and just running it’s hard to start with but I had it drilled into my head on here it gets easier over time which it does just need to be consistent with it.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
11 seconds off PB.

I’m not giving 100% for the first mile I just follow my first mile pace to be at around 8.00 then I up it for the next 0.5 mile which was a 7.22 pace.
I’m doing this so I can get used to keeping at a pace and finish strongly as I took 31 seconds off my 0.5 mile pace in this run was originally 7.53.
The running 4/5 days a week is definitely showing in my running progress as I’m keeping pace times now over a few miles when I couldn’t keep that pace over a few 100metres.
So going to set some new target goals and will post them on here tonight with new workout.

Attachments

jaketyghoust

Reaction score
This morning consisted of

- 3 Rounds of the VPJFT.
- Assault bike - 10 seconds sprint then 50 second easy x 10 .
- 20 AMRAP - 5 Pull ups, 10 Press ups and 15 Squats.
- Pull up negatives 10 x 3.