Your last session/workout!

ODB

Reaction score
Any reason why you’ve been slacking is it a motivation thing or just being to busy?
A lot of people can’t even run 3 miles mate so no shame in that time at all!

In all honest you *text deleted* prioritise the 3 mile runs and your cardio over weights first as your struggling to do that distance now which you said your pushing through it now will you manage if you’ve just destroyed yourself on the weights in the gym?
Dont fall into the trap of doing your runs on the treadmill and thinking it will be the same as outside if anything I would just do your runs on different days to your gym sessions that way you can always give 100%.

How often do you currently run in the week as just a run (like your 3 mile run)?

I understand if you enjoy weights but you really *text deleted* work on the most that you struggle with first which is getting outside and just running it’s hard to start with but I had it drilled into my head on here it gets easier over time which it does just need to be consistent with it.
To be honest mate it's a bit of both. I've been working a lot and just been lacking motivation in life the last couple weeks but am now getting back on track.

I agree mate cardio is the focus for me now. Just thinking of ways to add in some extra sessions. Will be doing 3 mile runs first thing on my days off work and will run back from the gym when I go.

Last few weeks it has been a couple times a week but I have not planned things properly. Will make sure I'm doing 3 runs a week on their own as their own workout, and then will do some extras either running back from the gym or work. I have pretty flat feet and have had some issues with my ankles which in turn affects my knees. This has only been brought on as I've been walking to and from work and have had pretty unsupportive shoes and not doing mobility stuff. Nothing major but I need to fix these issues as well as I don't want to give myself knee issues just because my ankle and hips are a bit tight. Will be doing mobility work daily to improve this. Biggest thing is I just got a decently supportive pair of running shoes that I can use now, this in itself should resolve it to be honest.

Cheers for your help

ODB

Reaction score
Following on from what I discussed with @Mattys here is my weekly plan.

Day 1 Pressup and pullups-weights-Run home
Day 2 Run home from work- Situps- Grizz phys workout
Day 3 3 mile run-Weights-Pullups
Day 4 Bodyweight workout - 3 mile run
Day 5 Weights into 5 mile bike ride into 3 mile run
Day 6 Sprint and exercise circuit from 12 week RM program in the morning
Day 7 Rest but may have a steady run back from work depending on how my body's feeling.

Will be aiming to beat 10 minute mile as per the second week of the 12 week program.

Today was day 1. Did a pullup and pressup test with strict form before the weights. Got 8 pullups, my back could definitely have done a couple more but I lost my grip. Pressups I got 39 which was a bit disappointing but I'm confident I can improve this.
I then ran most of the way home from the gym, stopping about 3 times to stretch my ankle out. Went at a comfortable pace and focused on technique, but stopped as I didn't want to *text deleted* up my ankle for the rest of the week. Pretty sure I will have rectified this in the coming days though as the shoes I got will be much more supportive, the others were falling apart haha.

The run was 2.85 miles in 29 minutes. Bearing in mind I stopped to stretch and was going at a steady pace I'm pretty happy with this. Onwards and upwards

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest mate it's a bit of both. I've been working a lot and just been lacking motivation in life the last couple weeks but am now getting back on track.

I agree mate cardio is the focus for me now. Just thinking of ways to add in some extra sessions. Will be doing 3 mile runs first thing on my days off work and will run back from the gym when I go.

Last few weeks it has been a couple times a week but I have not planned things properly. Will make sure I'm doing 3 runs a week on their own as their own workout, and then will do some extras either running back from the gym or work. I have pretty flat feet and have had some issues with my ankles which in turn affects my knees. This has only been brought on as I've been walking to and from work and have had pretty unsupportive shoes and not doing mobility stuff. Nothing major but I need to fix these issues as well as I don't want to give myself knee issues just because my ankle and hips are a bit tight. Will be doing mobility work daily to improve this. Biggest thing is I just got a decently supportive pair of running shoes that I can use now, this in itself should resolve it to be honest.

Cheers for your help
That’s good news then fella just stick with it!
I was *text deleted* suggest getting some running trainers but it don’t matter now ha!
Could you cycle to work if this is an option?

Following on from what I discussed with @Mattys here is my weekly plan.

Day 1 Pressup and pullups-weights-Run home
Day 2 Run home from work- Situps- Grizz phys workout
Day 3 3 mile run-Weights-Pullups
Day 4 Bodyweight workout - 3 mile run
Day 5 Weights into 5 mile bike ride into 3 mile run
Day 6 Sprint and exercise circuit from 12 week RM program in the morning
Day 7 Rest but may have a steady run back from work depending on how my body's feeling.

Will be aiming to beat 10 minute mile as per the second week of the 12 week program.

Today was day 1. Did a pullup and pressup test with strict form before the weights. Got 8 pullups, my back could definitely have done a couple more but I lost my grip. Pressups I got 39 which was a bit disappointing but I'm confident I can improve this.
I then ran most of the way home from the gym, stopping about 3 times to stretch my ankle out. Went at a comfortable pace and focused on technique, but stopped as I didn't want to *text deleted* up my ankle for the rest of the week. Pretty sure I will have rectified this in the coming days though as the shoes I got will be much more supportive, the others were falling apart haha.

The run was 2.85 miles in 29 minutes. Bearing in mind I stopped to stretch and was going at a steady pace I'm pretty happy with this. Onwards and upwards
Good stuff mate itl help you out so much more if you have a routine to go by rather than just deciding last minute what to do.
Looking at your workout mate you might burn yourself out as it looks like your scheduled to do 6 days in a row of body workouts/weights so your muscles will more than likely be tired and you might struggle to do the workouts if thst makes sense?
Because running is your weakest point you *text deleted* do that first as doing weights then a 5 mile cycle then a 3 mile for someone who struggles with running id do that the other way around.

Couldnt you do your running/cardio sessions on different days to your gym/bodyweight exercises so going by your workouts you’ve written something like this?

Monday - 3 mile run - 5 mile cycle - weights

Tuesday - run from work - sit-ups - grizz phys workout

Wednesday - press/pull-ups - weights - run home

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 3 mile run - pull-ups - weights

Saturday - sprint and exercise circuit from RM 12 week program

Sunday - run from work - rest

This is how I would do your workouts I know everyone is different but you say you’ve got ankle issues and running is your weakest point so running 6/7 a week you’ll get to a point where you just cba or will be to sore for the next run.
I know cardio burns through your energy storages quicker than weights will but as long as you eat after your run you should be fine for your weights as otherwise will you be able to go do a 3 miler if you’ve just been smashing out the weights ha?
So I just based all the running first so that’s where you want to improve the most as weights are good to a certain degree but there not really needed in all honest!
So if you do your main runs (3 miles) not in consecutive days itl give you a chance to recover and use the run home from work as a slow steady jog just to keep the running ticking over?
Do weights on alternate days so same with the running gives your body time to recover if you have a day off from weights inbetween.

Its your workout so you can do what you thinks right with it I just think looking at what you’ve put you will most certainly burn yourself out trying to do cardio and body exercises/weights 6 days in a row!

FatWannabe

Reaction score
@ODB (or anyone else for that matter) If you're in need of a program I'll put my 2p in and suggest Tactical Barbell. It is a program that is highly customisable and flexible and is aimed primarily at military types (perfect for RM hopefuls like us). I'm using it right now and will continue to do so until I'm 2-3 months out from a PRMC/ROP/RT to focus on the criteria and tests more specifically. There's a TB (Tactical Barbell) Reddit page with loads of advice and discussion. There's a guy on the Reddit page who says he was previously an RM nod (chitted in week 18) who wishes he found TB before RT so take from that what you want.

ODB

Reaction score
That’s good news then fella just stick with it!
I was *text deleted* suggest getting some running trainers but it don’t matter now ha!
Could you cycle to work if this is an option?

Good stuff mate itl help you out so much more if you have a routine to go by rather than just deciding last minute what to do.
Looking at your workout mate you might burn yourself out as it looks like your scheduled to do 6 days in a row of body workouts/weights so your muscles will more than likely be tired and you might struggle to do the workouts if thst makes sense?
Because running is your weakest point you *text deleted* do that first as doing weights then a 5 mile cycle then a 3 mile for someone who struggles with running id do that the other way around.

Couldnt you do your running/cardio sessions on different days to your gym/bodyweight exercises so going by your workouts you’ve written something like this?

Monday - 3 mile run - 5 mile cycle - weights

Tuesday - run from work - sit-ups - grizz phys workout

Wednesday - press/pull-ups - weights - run home

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 3 mile run - pull-ups - weights

Saturday - sprint and exercise circuit from RM 12 week program

Sunday - run from work - rest

This is how I would do your workouts I know everyone is different but you say you’ve got ankle issues and running is your weakest point so running 6/7 a week you’ll get to a point where you just cba or will be to sore for the next run.
I know cardio burns through your energy storages quicker than weights will but as long as you eat after your run you should be fine for your weights as otherwise will you be able to go do a 3 miler if you’ve just been smashing out the weights ha?
So I just based all the running first so that’s where you want to improve the most as weights are good to a certain degree but there not really needed in all honest!
So if you do your main runs (3 miles) not in consecutive days itl give you a chance to recover and use the run home from work as a slow steady jog just to keep the running ticking over?
Do weights on alternate days so same with the running gives your body time to recover if you have a day off from weights inbetween.

Its your workout so you can do what you thinks right with it I just think looking at what you’ve put you will most certainly burn yourself out trying to do cardio and body exercises/weights 6 days in a row!
Honestly really appreciate the time you've put in to helping mate. Yeah I could do with buying a bike to be honest, ankle felt miles better from the shoes today though so hopefully will be alright until I get some sorted if I get working on stretching etc.

A lot of how my week is setup is based around work days. My gym is near to work so on gym days it makes sense to go there then do the run back. I'll make sure I have 3 days where I do my main runs on their own or at least before anything else. Definitely agree I need to prioritise running and needed to be reminded to be honest as I get tempted to do more strength stuff even though it isn't as important.

To be honest I have been ok doing this amount of exercise in the past, provided I eat and sleep to support it but I will definitely be wary of burning out. I'm also not going too mad at the gym as my main focus there is to gain a bit of strength and strengthen certain areas of my body that I think will help with training. Main thing is I will make sure the runs and bodyweight work are given priority.

Thanks for the advice man, I'll let you know how I get on with it anyway. If my runs aren't improving I'll probably drop the extra workouts altogether.

ODB

Reaction score
@ODB (or anyone else for that matter) If you're in need of a program I'll put my 2p in and suggest Tactical Barbell. It is a program that is highly customisable and flexible and is aimed primarily at military types (perfect for RM hopefuls like us). I'm using it right now and will continue to do so until I'm 2-3 months out from a PRMC/ROP/RT to focus on the criteria and tests more specifically. There's a TB (Tactical Barbell) Reddit page with loads of advice and discussion. There's a guy on the Reddit page who says he was previously an RM nod (chitted in week 18) who wishes he found TB before RT so take from that what you want.
Cheers pal I'll have a look into it

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly really appreciate the time you've put in to helping mate. Yeah I could do with buying a bike to be honest, ankle felt miles better from the shoes today though so hopefully will be alright until I get some sorted if I get working on stretching etc.

A lot of how my week is setup is based around work days. My gym is near to work so on gym days it makes sense to go there then do the run back. I'll make sure I have 3 days where I do my main runs on their own or at least before anything else. Definitely agree I need to prioritise running and needed to be reminded to be honest as I get tempted to do more strength stuff even though it isn't as important.

To be honest I have been ok doing this amount of exercise in the past, provided I eat and sleep to support it but I will definitely be wary of burning out. I'm also not going too mad at the gym as my main focus there is to gain a bit of strength and strengthen certain areas of my body that I think will help with training. Main thing is I will make sure the runs and bodyweight work are given priority.

Thanks for the advice man, I'll let you know how I get on with it anyway. If my runs aren't improving I'll probably drop the extra workouts altogether.
That’s no worries fella that’s what this forum is for!
Yeah having a bike would most definitely help you especially with getting to work and back.

Agh that makes sense then and handy that your close to the gym!
When you go to the gym just do your body weight exercises first so press/sit/pull-ups so your getting the most out of them as there priority then do weights.
On the other days just focus on your running so your 3 miler and on other days you could work on your speed/pace so if your getting 10 m/m in the 3 miler then on your shorter runs say 1 miler try get a 9 m/m then when your getting more used to running do a 4/5 miler just for distance.
Then for circuits just focus on things that’s used in the vPJFT and do leg work squats/lungs etc.

There’s no problems doing other forms of exercise but as your starting out and stuff just concentrate on the criteria things that get tested on then when your scores and times are in the good level then start doing extra things.
The only reason my running times are coming down quick is because I’m doing a lot of runs and just straight to the point just focusing on what’s required than doing things that may or may not help!

Nice one good luck

ODB

Reaction score
Yeah planning to do RM focused stuff before any weights. That's a good shout with the running mate, run back from work is around 2.8 so could aim to hit 9 minute mile for that.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
1st proper speed workout.

5x 200m (60s rest each)

5 min rest

5x 100m (60s rest each)

The first few 200m sprints was in the 4 m/m range but then fatigue starting kicking in and then got to the 100m sprints which were like fast jogs as legs we’re getting tired!!

Its unreal how those who can get under 4 m/m have to be naturally gifted that’s for sure!!

Attachments

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Much easier to post now I've figured how to attach images:

20200729_143020.jpg

20kg sandbag. Felt pretty wiped out after yesterday's HM so it wasn't fast or impressive today, just a case of grinding the reps out.

Josh24

Reaction score
Much easier to post now I've figured how to attach images:

20200729_143020.jpg

20kg sandbag. Felt pretty wiped out after yesterday's HM so it wasn't fast or impressive today, just a case of grinding the reps out.
Two grizz phys sessions jesus, Beast!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Two grizz phys sessions jesus, Beast!
Haha not always, quite often just the one. But the one at the bottom is all core, so it's a good addition to sessions like the one above which don't target core at all.

Josh24

Reaction score
4 rounds of Vpjft done to the bleep into some gym work.
Had no intention of running today but was craving a run - 4.5 miles at an easy 9:30 pace and 10 x 100 metre hill sprints on the way home.