Your last session/workout!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I did a really subpar workout today so I figured lets do a 5k as I haven't ran properly in a week apart from sprints, I started running and checked my phone towards the end of a mile and seen I was on 0.9miles at 5.5m/m pace and was like WHATTT. Seeing as my last best 1 mile time was 6m 48. I think I am going to try to go even faster tomorrow and get the 1.5miles done. Part of this run is a tiny bit of downhill so I thought maybe it's cheating ahaha but I don't think I'd have been much slower on a flat surface. It just confirms to me how much your mind plays with you. I literally did sprints the other day at 6.3m/m pace and I could hardly manage 300m as I was running way too fast for 100m and messed my breathing up for the rest. Got a better workout tomorrow but will try fit this route in again but carry on running to get a good PR. Can only go up from here. (Unless I get fat again).

100% this confirms to me that it's all mental. Without looking at the time I didn't think I was running that fast!
6 minute miles are quite speedy for most runners. Hate to patronise but you keep mentioning 5k... are you sure it wasn't Minutes Per Kilometre you were using? In which case 6 min km will feel easy and slow

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I just see 5k as a base distance to see where I’m at. It was a mile. Would saying 3 miles make it clearer? ;)
Definitely got the 9 minute 1.5 in you then!

I recently re-attended army assessment centre while I wait for my RM appeal to go through as it had lapsed, just so I have an option if it doesn't. There was a lad on there who runs the new 2km test they do in a whopping 05:55! He was a Para rejoin and competitive runner. His old 1.5 miler was 06:50, which they used to do after a 3.5 mile warm up rather than the 1.5 warm up of RM. Madness. There's always a cost though and in his case he could only do about 35 Press-Ups and scored very low on the Mid Thigh Pull test (the army's new static deadlift test).

Foxx

Reaction score
Definitely got the 9 minute 1.5 in you then!

I recently re-attended army assessment centre while I wait for my RM appeal to go through as it had lapsed, just so I have an option if it doesn't. There was a lad on there who runs the new 2km test they do in a whopping 05:55! He was a Para rejoin and competitive runner. His old 1.5 miler was 06:50, which they used to do after a 3.5 mile warm up rather than the 1.5 warm up of RM. Madness. There's always a cost though and in his case he could only do about 35 Press-Ups and scored very low on the Mid Thigh Pull test (the army's new static deadlift test).
Well I can say I am too a better runner than I am with my bodyweight, however that is a crazy time! I want to get amazing scores in all of my tests if I can help it so I don't want to put too much into my running.. but this was after a week or more of nearly no runs longer than a mile. So I am proud of it. I am going to reassess my bodyweight scores tomorrow and will see if I can get a better time on the run. Yeah my mate has his army intake on Sunday and said about the deadlift test. Pull ups are the worst for me. I am so bad at them! I also can hardly swim o_O no lessons on at the moment though. Yet to do my VPJFT I am hoping to be ready by December or latest January. Good luck with that appeal mate.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you can run a 6 minute mile you can run a 9 minute 1.5, it's just how much you're willing to stay in the 'cave' for that last little push.

Any time I've gone sub-08:40 has usually ended in vomit, dizziness or the occasional accidental sh*t in my shorts, no joke -banghead-
Yeah 100% agree with you, been smashing hill sprints a lot for a while and all my routes are hill so can only thank them for where my fitness and leg strength is now. I’ll give the 1.5mile a go soon, ROP on the 23rd so just getting some hard weeks in then taper off the week before

Last edited:

Foxx

Reaction score
2 minutes on each body weight workout:

51 press ups
57 sit ups
8 pull ups

combined with my 5.51 minute mile I think one more month training I could possibly book my VPJFT. Happy with my progress. My mate is going to strengthen my swimming, he’s an apprenticeship swimming instructor on 14 p/h. Said he’ll help for free in his spare time but I offered to pay.

Just asking for an opinion. I’ve gone from 93kg to 74kg, does anyone recommend in the final few months I eat a little more just to make sure I’ve got weight on my side for fireman’s carry etc. I’m 5’9 :) just need an answer from experience if possible! Thanks

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

51 press ups
57 sit ups
8 pull ups

combined with my 5.51 minute mile I think one more month training I could possibly book my VPJFT. Happy with my progress. My mate is going to strengthen my swimming, he’s an apprenticeship swimming instructor on 14 p/h. Said he’ll help for free in his spare time but I offered to pay.

Just asking for an opinion. I’ve gone from 93kg to 74kg, does anyone recommend in the final few months I eat a little more just to make sure I’ve got weight on my side for fireman’s carry etc. I’m 5’9 :) just need an answer from experience if possible! Thanks
You don't need weight on your side for the fireman's carry, the average recruit weight is about 75kg anyway. You're paired up with someone "similar height and weight" so will have no issues there.
I was about 90kg when I did it some years ago with RMR which was actually a disadvantage because once all the 75kg lads were paired off I was with a 110kg bloke and ended up just scraping in with a second to spare (compared to all the training up to then being with lighter blokes). It also felt 'jack' (selfish) being the heavy bloke through most of training as you just see off your lighter mates.

But actually your body will change so much in the 20 weeks of training up to Bottom Field Pass Out that it doesn't really matter what your weight is right now as long as your phys is good. Unless you're grossly overweight or underweight then the focus should be on performance not physique.

Foxx

Reaction score
You don't need weight on your side for the fireman's carry, the average recruit weight is about 75kg anyway. You're paired up with someone "similar height and weight" so will have no issues there.
I was about 90kg when I did it some years ago with RMR which was actually a disadvantage because once all the 75kg lads were paired off I was with a 110kg bloke and ended up just scraping in with a second to spare (compared to all the training up to then being with lighter blokes). It also felt 'jack' (selfish) being the heavy bloke through most of training as you just see off your lighter mates.

But actually your body will change so much in the 20 weeks of training up to Bottom Field Pass Out that it doesn't really matter what your weight is right now as long as your phys is good. Unless you're grossly overweight or underweight then the focus should be on performance not physique.
I think I will up my calories a tiny bit just to maintenance as I am still losing a little bit of weight, but I am happy to know this weight is okay as I can crack on with my fitness and hopefully book the VPJFT asap! Thanks mate.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Gyms closed around here again now. So back to the nasty conditioning sessions I was posting through summer. Plan for today is something along the lines of:

10 Minute EMOM
- 5 Burpees
- 10 Press-Ups
- 15 Squats
-------

- 7 Pull-Ups
- 28 Sandbag Clean & Press @20kg
- 7 Pull-Ups
- 21 Sandbag Clean & Press @20kg
- 7 Pull-Ups
- 14 C&P
- 7 Pull-Ups
- 7 C&P
- 7 Pull-Ups
-------

- Tabata Sandbag Squats

Core Circuit to finish (7-8 minute continuous abs circuit)

codislife

Reaction score
Yeah 100% agree with you, been smashing hill sprints a lot for a while and all my routes are hill so can only thank them for where my fitness and leg strength is now. I’ll give the 1.5mile a go soon, ROP on the 23rd so just getting some hard weeks in then taper off the week before
For me hill/normal sprints have literally increased my cardio 10 fold. Ranging from like 30 sec up a hill to 400m sprints. It’s crazy how good they are.

good luck down at lympstone man

codislife

Reaction score

51 press ups
57 sit ups
8 pull ups

93kg of fat or muscle? Just eat enough where you’re not burning out, and not gaining results mate

Foxx

Reaction score
93kg of fat or muscle? Just eat enough where you’re not burning out, and not gaining results mate
A lot of my weight was fat at the time without a doubt. I spent a good few months only running and staying in a calorie deficit. Couldn't do many push ups, was just too heavy. 3 stone down and performing a lot better. I know if I want weight on my side I'd up my calories, it was more a question if it would be necessary or not that's all. Didn't want to have to carry a bigger lad when I am so much smaller now, would do my best though!! Now it's a matter of just fuelling myself up enough for the phys and keep my fitness and it's peak! Thanks mate

codislife

Reaction score
A lot of my weight was fat at the time without a doubt. I spent a good few months only running and staying in a calorie deficit. Couldn't do many push ups, was just too heavy. 3 stone down and performing a lot better. I know if I want weight on my side I'd up my calories, it was more a question if it would be necessary or not that's all. Didn't want to have to carry a bigger lad when I am so much smaller now, would do my best though!! Now it's a matter of just fuelling myself up enough for the phys and keep my fitness and it's peak! Thanks mate
Ah that’s some good going that mate!
Well if you’re happy with your weight, and feel like you can pass medical with your bmi being below 28 or waist below 34inches mate go into maintenance calories. Just eat well, multi vitamins protein and some good rest. Best way

Foxx

Reaction score
Ah that’s some good going that mate!
Well if you’re happy with your weight, and feel like you can pass medical with your bmi being below 28 or waist below 34inches mate go into maintenance calories. Just eat well, multi vitamins protein and some good rest. Best way
Sounds good mate I will do!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Been updating my first aid quals in the Peak District so Friday and yesterday's phys were both runs along the top of The Roaches (rocky edge running a few miles, popular climbing spot).

4 miles exactly on the Friday run and 5.5 yesterday. Not too worried about pace because there was Elevation and lots of mud and boulders to navigate, but just made sure to keep to about RPE 6/7.

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
Just had my vPJFT+ and I got a good pass, kind of shame I didn't get top marks but I'm putting it down to having one of two wisdom teeth out 6 days ago and I've been zonked out on antibiotics and pain meds.

I suppose a pass is a pass, F2F medical up next.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Just had my vPJFT+ and I got a good pass, kind of shame I didn't get top marks but I'm putting it down to having one of two wisdom teeth out 6 days ago and I've been zonked out on antibiotics and pain meds.

I suppose a pass is a pass, F2F medical up next.
Good effort. Onwards and upwards. Use that result to fuel your motivation going forward. Keep working hard. Don’t make excuses, you’ll soon find that is a civvie mindset, in the military no one will care about excuses, only results. Instead work hard to improve. Use less than perfect results as motivation. The real hard work starts soon! Good luck.