Your last session/workout!

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the detail mate, is there a trick to breathing whilst running to keep heart rate down?
Nasal breathing only. If you need to stop to really bring it down do “box breathing” 4 sec in - 4 hold - 4 out - 4 hold before the next in

Murk

Reaction score
Nasal breathing only. If you need to stop to really bring it down do “box breathing” 4 sec in - 4 hold - 4 out - 4 hold before the next in
I’ll give that a try! Is it recommended to do box breathing whilst running or only in recovery?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll give that a try! Is it recommended to do box breathing whilst running or only in recovery?
Just recovery, having said that if you are in a safe environment with preferably an other runner having a go at hypoxic short distances (running while holding your breath after you exhaled) can increase your tolerance of the build up of metabolic by products that cause fatigue. There are just so many things that you can try it gets to a point when you are just better off sticking to the basics unless you only goal is to improve running. Training for the RM is about being fairly decent at everything but if you are doing strength training and running in the same time (like most of us -concurrent training-) you will never be getting optimum results for both so just bear that in mind.

Murk

Reaction score
Just recovery, having said that if you are in a safe environment with preferably an other runner having a go at hypoxic short distances (running while holding your breath after you exhaled) can increase your tolerance of the build up of metabolic by products that cause fatigue. There are just so many things that you can try it gets to a point when you are just better off sticking to the basics unless you only goal is to improve running. Training for the RM is about being fairly decent at everything but if you are doing strength training and running in the same time (like most of us -concurrent training-) you will never be getting optimum results for both so just bear that in mind.
Thanks for the info!

Duracell Bunny

Reaction score
Same hill session as previously. The 4.18km return home was a real test of my resolve today - legs were feeling heavy and willpower was low, but I did it and was rewarded with a 23sec improvement overall on my previous time:

KM 1: 3:54
KM 2: 4:18
KM 3: 4:49
KM 4: 4:59
0.18 KM: 0:45

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
3.9 km weighted walk @ 12.5 kg
Roughly 400 m swim in the sea (fully wrapped like a cock)

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
PM
A, 43 minutes run, total 6.4km AvHR 150 BPM (higher then Zone 2 but it wasn’t today’s focus)
6:46 1.13 km warm up
Then 6 sets of:
330 m backward running
330 m forward running (slow, recovery jog)
1.46 km jog back home

B, Forearm and shoulder strengthening with a 2.5kg mace:
3 sets of:
10-10 pronation-supination twist
5 hammer curl up to reverse curl down

Usual shoulder drill, single arm:
5-5 pull over
5-5 external rotation to behind the neck
5-5 pull over to circle out with the elbow and pull down to the side
5-5 external rotation to behind the neck to pull down to the front

15 - 15 360

C, 4 rounds of VPJFT

D, 5-5-(4+1) pull ups. Even though I had longer rests: 2 and 4 minutes, I failed on the last set. All pull ups are with 5 seconds hold on top with legs in L-sit so it’s much harder. Tomorrow back to 5-5-4.

E, 60 mins of hamstring, shoulder and forearm stretch (Dylan Werner True Flexibility series, alomoves.com if anyone is keen)

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
AM
A, Strength yoga (Dylan Werner True Strength Builder I, Practice 4, it’s a bitch. Sign up for a free trial on alomoves.com and give it a go!)

B, Handstand practice

C, I finally signed up for Ben Patrick (kneestotoesguy on YT) Knee’s Ability programme. I am doing the “Zero” program for a month then I will try the Dense programming. The first month costs around £18 as half price so I am only signing up for a month and saving the workouts for a later day. All the explanation videos are on his YT channel as unlisted videos so it’s obvious what you can do with those videos. Definitely worth £18 but unless you feel like you need coaching (you are strongly encouraged to send them videos of your last 3 reps of each exercises and they give you feedback) for more than a month it doesn’t worth paying for it if you are low on cash. If you are rich definitely pay for it. Your knees are *text deleted* be happy either way and it’s still cheaper than paying for a knee surgery / physio later down the line.

D, 5-5-4 pull ups 5 sec hold on top, L-sit, 3 minutes rest this time, much easier than yesterday.

Little rest now before the PM legs with my mate.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
PM
A, 7.57 km bike ride, mostly on grass, 43 minutes easy Zone 2 HR AvHR 129 BPM

B, Full Tabata (8x20-sec work / 10-sec rest) with these legs and core exercises:
1. Alternating lunge (13kg weight vest)
2. Hollow rock
3. Dragon lunge
4. V-Sit up / Tuck ins
5. Hunter squat (13kg weight vest)
6. 20s Side plank / 10s plank (13kg weight vest)
7. Alternating cossack's without standing up (keeping the hips low), continuously switching sides and keeping the hips lows, during the 10s rest you stay down, sit on the heel, alternate with every round

This one wasn't Tabata:
8. 8 x 37 m (on a decent incline driveway) Fireman's carry (I drew the short straw as my mate is 9kg heavier than I am).

C, Ben Patrick's Knee Ability's stretching programme (your welcome)

If you made it this far: Merry Christmas! (Knee's Ability Zero programme)

Duracell Bunny

Reaction score
A slow and easy 10km this morning in the rain against a delightful headwind at roughly 9:16m/m pace.

A bit of core work and some stretching to do this evening.

MRR46

Reaction score
Am-10 miles covered today at work

Pm-x5 rounds of vpjft & a long stretching session!

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
AM
Strength yoga and Knee Ability Zero programme

PM
A, 10 minutes warm up jog, 1.7 km AvHR 139 BPM
6 sets of:
~ 330 m forward running (~ 2 min)
~ 330 m backward running/walking (~ 3min)
Covered ~ 4.6 km, 36 min, AvHR 148 BPM
1.1 km jog back home AvHR 153 BPM, 6:31

B, 4 rounds of VPJFT

C, 5-5-5 pull ups 3 minutes rest between, 5 sec hold at the top, L-sit

60 minutes of static stretching for legs and chest

jwcompound

Reaction score
Finished up an Arnys Hill Sprint session with a 3 mile time of 21:09 which I’m pleased with. Hopefully come in under 21 mins next week

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
AM
A, Strength yoga, handstand practice and Knee Ability Zero programme
B, Zone 2 forward run / backwards walk:
Set my HR zone alerts between 125 and 140 BPM. As soon as my HR reached 140 I started walking backwards until it recovered under 125. Most of the forward running was done at a faster tempo speed so they were very short distances around 30-40 meters. Did a good 25 minutes like this, other 20 minutes with forward walks. Overall 6 km, 45 minutes, AvHR 135 BPM.

PM
C, 4 rounds of VPJFT
D, 6-5-5 pull ups (L-sit, 5 sec hold on top, 3 minutes rest between)
E, 60 minutes full body stretching

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Long session today:

- 5 min warm up

- 20 Min AMRAP: 10 alternate KB power snatch (16kg KB), 15 air Squats, 5 burpees

- 3x 10 Pull-Ups, 30 Press-Ups, 30 KB Swings, 20 alternate KB overhead Lunges (10 per leg)

- 2km Run medium pace

- 10 Min EMOM - 5 Pull-Ups, 10 Press-Ups, 15 Air Squats

- Tabata KB Swings to finish

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Long session today:

- 5 min warm up

- 20 Min AMRAP: 10 alternate KB power snatch (16kg KB), 15 air Squats, 5 burpees

- 3x 10 Pull-Ups, 30 Press-Ups, 30 KB Swings, 20 alternate KB overhead Lunges (10 per leg)

- 2km Run medium pace

- 10 Min EMOM - 5 Pull-Ups, 10 Press-Ups, 15 Air Squats

- Tabata KB Swings to finish
Power to you as Pavel would say!

Partridge

Reaction score
Considering buying a kettle bell, sandbag and pull-up bar to start doing more CrossFit based sessions. Anyone know if they're any good for me to start CrossFit sessions?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Considering buying a kettle bell, sandbag and pull-up bar to start doing more CrossFit based sessions. Anyone know if they're any good for me to start CrossFit sessions?
Well the question is not really that if they are good for CrossFit. The real question is that do you have the correct proficiency in movement to start doing high rep loaded movements under time constraints. Can you safely do (have you ever been formerly coached?) a kettlebell goblet squat, deadlift, swing, clean and press, turkish get up?

Partridge

Reaction score
Well the question is not really that if they are good for CrossFit. The real question is that do you have the correct proficiency in movement to start doing high rep loaded movements under time constraints. Can you safely do (have you ever been formerly coached?) a kettlebell goblet squat, deadlift, swing, clean and press, turkish get up?

Yes I've performed them all before when gyms were open so been quite awhile (Except for turkish get up, I've never tried that). Haven't performed any of them with a kettlebell though only a bar and over lockdown I've been quite slacking with mobility work so i'd need to start doing that consistently again.