Your last session/workout!

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I’m no expert either, purely opinion based from my own experience of running different variations.

Without a shadow of a doubt it’s the best way to increase milage. However I personally don’t think it’s the best format to use for a running routine that consists of only 3 runs as week. If somebody is allowing their body to recover more days than it is training, then you better make sure you’re pushing it on those three otherwise you won’t really be forcing your body to change, it’ll just stay the same. As your body does adapt to its demands you’ll have to increase different variables and a very major one is frequency. Often the more you train something, the better you get at it.

I’ll add i’m currently following a somewhat 80/20 format with my runs but I’m running 5-6x a week now, rather than the 3x I used to.

I’m quiet interested in seeing how much running we’ll be doing in RT, how often, how far, as I know there’s a lot of variation within the 32weeks. All I know is it’ll be balls to the wall throughout!
Exactly hit the nail on the head about the more you train some thing the better you'll get mentally and physically at completing it.

Everything from what I read about pays to be a winner and camp circuits is better effort every time so wouldn't expect anything less to be honest.

I don't think you run more then 3/4 miles in a normal way we think about it but during exercises and gym circuits it will all add up.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I do think tracking your calorie intake and macros before joining can only benefit you even more, I believe educating yourself about your body is something everyone should do and in today's society it seems people really don't understand the basics.
Definitely. My post was focused on the fact that RT is conducted at CTCRM, Lympstone and not Club La Santa Sports Resort, Lanzarote. :)

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Decided for my speed session this week I would do 3 miles at perceived effort of 7-8 and ended up coming in at 19:35, pretty happy as this is my first ever sub 20 minute run.

Ōkami

Reaction score
Alright lads,
Just a quick one that Iron Wolf on YouTube has started a December training plan for free. Some good stuff on there if you're stuck on circuit sessions ect.

Hatters

Reaction score
Alright lads,
Just a quick one that Iron Wolf on YouTube has started a December training plan for free. Some good stuff on there if you're stuck on circuit sessions ect.
Done 7 circuits from his most recent upload, planning to gradually increase it. Legs were a tad sore near the end haha. Topped off with a core circuit after made for a good session.

Video link for anyone interested:D

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mon: Cardio

1000m Warm up
5 x 1000m Intervals
1000m Warm down

Tue: Conditioning (All one session)

Press Ups:
5 x Max Press Ups - 60,35,28,23,22,
5 x Max 20kg Vest Press Ups - 13,13,12,11,11
3 x Max 20kg Vest 5s holds in bend & stretch position (1rep) - 4,4,4
3 x Max 5s holds in bend & stretch position (1rep) - 8,5,6
(2:00 rest all sets)

Pull Ups:
1 x Max Pull ups - 10
10 x 3 Pull Ups
5 x Max Dead Hang
(30s rest all sets)

Weights:
BB Curl superset BB Press - 3x10
OH Row superset UH Row - 3x10
Flys superset Reverse Flys - 3x10
(Heavily focus on form and TUT, slow eccentric, 2:00 rest)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm no expert bit I would be careful about running on consecutive days, fair play to you if your body can handle it.

Only reason I mentioned 80/20 as from previous posts I think you stated about applying some point next year, myself and many others have fallen for the age old issue of doing more then our bodies can handle so have ended up being unable to run for a few weeks while we've recovered.
Bizarrely enough I’ve found I’ve had fewer niggles recently than I had done earlier on in the year. Which is where I think the 80/20 way of training can actually be really beneficial. By running at a lower intensity for a larger part of my training week I’m able to still complete other training and general tasks without feeling too wiped out, which has led to me running more miles and my body becoming better accustomed to that and therefore less susceptible to injury.
Whilst this method far from replicates how training will play out, I think it’s been really beneficial in terms of building a stronger and more resilient body that will hopefully cope better with RT, than if I’d carried on training everything with the proverbial ‘balls to the wall’ approach, and I’m confident that when it comes to it, I’ll be able to push myself harder than ever to work towards that green lid.

I’ve already applied - although for RMR, so in theory I’ve got around another 6 months to crack the phys, assuming the rest of my application goes ok.

Monday this week was a bit of interval training:
15mins slow warm-up
5mins hard running, 3mins slow running - repeat 4 times
15mins slow cool down

Yesterday:

Morning:

Vpjft+ practice - 4 sets completed in full. A little shaky on the last 3 press ups of sets 3&4, so still progress to be made, but the first time I’ve completed 4 sets within the timings, so happy with that otherwise.

Evening:

8.35km slow and steady run. Bang on 9 minute miles.

Rest day today.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Usual routine of pull ups at 6am but had to double glove today as the temperature is dropping now, after work was 2.4km warm up run followed by 4 x 800m intervals under 3 mins with 3 rest between them. Once home it was straight in to 3 x 30 press ups and sit ups to the bleep with 1 mins rest between them.

Blades1889

Reaction score
105kg squat 3x5
Overhead press 50kg 3x8
Clean and press 60kg 3x6
Bench press 77.5kg 3x8
Cable lateral raises 7.5kg/5kg 4x10 (2 dropsets)
Landmine press 65kg 2x12 + one arm press 45kg 2x8

Edit: cycled to swimming pool and back, did 20 odd lengths with a few breaks

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Decided my speed session would be a best effort 1.5 miles after the same length warm up with 1 minute rest inbetween, came in 9:10 which is a PB so pretty happy with it.

Annoyingly running each 600m 2.5 secs faster would possibly would have given me a sub 9 minute return time.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Decided to give a go at Bring Sally Up Challenge for fun and completed it pretty easily, think I'll do it once a day to get used to being the hold position.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Decided to change it up a bit and try to get sub 6 minute mile, 4 miles all together so 1 mile out at 8 min pace and the best effort return.

Both attempts I came in 10 to 20 seconds over, anyone who can crack a mile under 6 mins I'd take my hat off to you as that is no easy feat.

Blades1889

Reaction score
Ran 6 miles today, 50 minutes but not too bothered about the time is I usually only run 3 miles

Last edited:

user12345

Reaction score
today i did a 5 miler in the morning then in the afternoon i did a workout that follows as...
3x sets of weighted pressups 5kg
3x sets of weighted situps 5kg
3x sets if weighted tricep dips 5kg

3x sets of body weight push ups to bleep
3x sets of bodyweight situps to bleep
3x sets of bodyweight tricep dips

3x sets of assisted push ups
3x sets of assisted situps
3x sets of assisted tricep dips

then as a finisher i did 10 min amrap of...
10 squats
10 lunges
10 box jumps

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
today is a rest day for me lads so looking forward to see what you are up to.
My day will be pretty chilled today, up at 5:45am to do pull ups and then work from 9am-6pm, during lunch break I'll do bring sally up/down challenge full song then after work press up/sit up gainers 6 x 27 1 minute rest between sets.

user12345

Reaction score
My day will be pretty chilled today, up at 5:45am to do pull ups and then work from 9am-6pm, during lunch break I'll do bring sally up/down challenge full song then after work press up/sit up gainers 6 x 27 1 minute rest between sets.
nice to hear went for 2 mile walk for active rest with 5kg bag.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday’s session has left me abit sore

AM
50min Swim

PM
Press Ups: (total = 372reps)
- Max to Bleep - 60
- 3x 3min best effort
- 3x Max with 20kg

Pull Ups: (total = 84reps)
- Max to Bleep - 10
- 3reps x20 (30s rest between)
- 3x Max 5s Holds
- 3x Max Dead Hang

Barbell Curl superset Barbell Delt Press
Overhand Row superset UH Row

Finally a little activation for the quads:
3x 20 20kg vest narrow leg squats

Been stuck around 10 pull ups for months now, I’ve included weighted movements, I’ve increased volume and tempo but still not seeing an increase in Max. If anyone’s got any advice let me know

Murk

Reaction score
Cracking workout mate.
Been stuck around 10 pull ups for months now, I’ve included weighted movements, I’ve increased volume and tempo but still not seeing an increase in Max. If anyone’s got any advice let me know
Do you always do pull ups after push ups? And how many times a week do you do them?

Pull ups engage the chest and tris as well, and you might be a bit spent after the 300 odd you do.
Pull ups and push ups are good to do together in a circuit, but doing one whole push workout before a pull one might be damaging your gains.

As far as the actual routine goes, reduce the rest to 20s for the 20 sets of 3, stop when your form declines, if you can do the 20 sets perfect form drop the rest time again and start again.

Pyramid sets are good to do with weight as they add clear progression, set of 1, 15s rest then 2, 3, 4 and back again.

Then you could do a circuit with core exercise:
Pull ups
Hanging leg raises
Chin ups
Hanging knee raises
Kipping pull ups

This can strengthen further your hang and core muscles engaged when heaving to the bar.

Maybe spread these routines out over the week so you're doing little but effective and often, then one day do a blow out where you smash as many as you can in 30mins.

Hope that helps!

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cracking workout mate.

Do you always do pull ups after push ups? And how many times a week do you do them?

Pull ups engage the chest and tris as well, and you might be a bit spent after the 300 odd you do.
Pull ups and push ups are good to do together in a circuit, but doing one whole push workout before a pull one might be damaging your gains.

As far as the actual routine goes, reduce the rest to 20s for the 20 sets of 3, stop when your form declines, if you can do the 20 sets perfect form drop the rest time again and start again.

Pyramid sets are good to do with weight as they add clear progression, set of 1, 15s rest then 2, 3, 4 and back again.

Then you could do a circuit with core exercise:
Pull ups
Hanging leg raises
Chin ups
Hanging knee raises
Kipping pull ups

This can strengthen further your hang and core muscles engaged when heaving to the bar.

Maybe spread these routines out over the week so you're doing little but effective and often, then one day do a blow out where you smash as many as you can in 30mins.

Hope that helps!
Cheers mate, yeah I always do the pull ups after the press ups. Every other day is when I do Bodyweight and weighted movements.

That would make sense after the volume I do for the press ups. I’ll do pull ups first for some time and see if anything changes. I started with 10 sets of 3 so I’ll reduce rest periods now I’m at 20 as you suggested. It’s always the top part of the movement that fails first hence why I introduced the 5s holds to hopefully curb that.

I’ll give the additional core movements a go along with the pull ups and see how that goes, cheers.