Your last session/workout!

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Another day in “India”. 6.5 km barefoot walk on the beach, luckily shins are feeling perfectly fine, still won’t run until Monday. Followed by 50 minutes of mace and quadrupedal movements. Also did 3x25 push ups after the mace with 1 minute rests. 2nd and 3rd set didn’t feel very strong so it’s a sign I need to do more higher reps of push ups and lay off Navy seals as they not really helping... even when you end up doing 300 push ups in 30 mins.
Also did 1 round of these:
5 exercises 30 seconds each twice is 1 round. I will start adding a round every other week until I get to 5 and include it in the programming as I would like to learn BJJ in the future.

Finished with 5 sets of 8 pull ups, 3 minutes rests. Stretching at the minute.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This morning:
2km easy jog to warm up
5x 20 KB Swings, Press-Ups, Sit-Ups, Squats

Absolutely gassed compared to usual, probably due to the 22 miles of running and 3 circuits sessions in the last 3 days!

However, planning another short, sharp Circuit for later because not feeling particularly sore or worn out, just a bit fatigued. All about increasing that work capacity. Not confirmed yet but something along the lines of:

20-15-10-10-15-20
- Alternate KB Snatch
- Press-Ups
- Sandbag Clean & Press

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A, 3.26 km barefoot walk on the beach (36 mins)
B, Knee Ability Zero (Step 1-6 only)
C, After a full body warm up practiced some quadrupedal movements and also tried crawling on a fairly narrow stone wall with a 2m drop on one side, luckily didn’t slip off. Did some “box jumps” on some stairs as well. Followed by:
20 min AMRAP:
10 squats
10-10 lunges
10 slam ball clean to vertical throw @ 9 kg
10 box jumps (onto a raised surface around 60-70 cm high)
Managed to do 8 rounds + 5-5 lunges.
Few minutes rest and:
D, Feet to beam 3x10
Stretching as always.

Mosquito

Reaction score
AM:
Press Up Gainers - 15, 14, 14
Sit Up Gainers - 20, 19, 19
Pull Up Gainers - 4, 3, 3

PM:
100 Burpees w/ 10kg weighted vest, EMOM 5 squats and 5 press ups for time - 15:21

Admittedly I slacked yesterday with training, I did my gainers but nothing else. I scheduled a run but didn't do it, ate like a pig and got drunk last night catching up with an old friend on videocall. Decided to change that today and punish my hungover self.

Whipped the vest off for the last 15 and it's almost like something out of a movie. You feel so much more agile and, whereas with the last couple burpees with the vest I was grinding out say 5 in a minute with the squats and press ups, I managed the last few all in the space of a minute and felt proper happy. Looking to just do a slow paced 3 miler round the block a few times as well to compensate for yesterday.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A, 100 pull ups for time. Every time you drop do:
5 dips (65)
10 v-sit ups (130)
15 push ups (195)
20 hollow rocks (260)
25 air squats (325)

Pull ups sets I managed to do:
10, 9, 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 7
51:07
I bet @Biggles you can can smash it under 6 rounds!

B, 5 rounds: 1 min backwards walk, 1 min backwards run

C, 5 x 1 min banded tibialis anterior love

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
37 miles done this week, an all-time high, plus about 5 circuits sessions not including today.

Today I was almost going to give myself an extra rest day (Mondays are my set rest days) but I got a grip of myself and decided low-intensity mobility strength work is still better than nothing.

So I did a steady 2 miler warm up (included in the 37 this week) followed by some un-timed, un-measured sets of:

- Turkish Get Ups (16kg KB)
- Offset Sandbag Squats (sandbag on one shoulder)
- Offset Farmer's Walks (sandbag in one hand)
- A little bit of Yoga/Flexibility stuff
- Single Arm Overhead Walking Lunges (16kg KB)
- Alternating KB Snatch
- Bodyweight Curtsy Lunges

Basically a load of stuff I never do. No format, no set numbers or timings, just kind of went with the flow and chilled out, barely broke a sweat the whole session, but feel better for it.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to India!

I recently listed to this episode:

Stew highlights the importance of active recovery days “mobility days” and gives a great formatting advice towards the end. I will give that specific format a go on Thursdays. If you train 6 times in a row as you will be I suppose during RT having a mobility day towards the middle can help you recover better. A format of 3 days on - 1 day mobility day - 2 days on - 1 day complete rest sounds appealing to me. Hence I didn’t do anything useful today and I don’t even feel guilty. Mat Fraser in his recent podcast with Joe Rogan was saying having a day for yourself when you don’t do anything is needed and you should not be feeling guilty as you know you will be working your ass off during the following 6 days.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to India!

I recently listed to this episode:

Stew highlights the importance of active recovery days “mobility days” and gives a great formatting advice towards the end. I will give that specific format a go on Thursdays. If you train 6 times in a row as you will be I suppose during RT having a mobility day towards the middle can help you recover better. A format of 3 days on - 1 day mobility day - 2 days on - 1 day complete rest sounds appealing to me. Hence I didn’t do anything useful today and I don’t even feel guilty. Mat Fraser in his recent podcast with Joe Rogan was saying having a day for yourself when you don’t do anything is needed and you should not be feeling guilty as you know you will be working your ass off during the following 6 days.

For sure. I bought my first copy of "Men's Health" I about 5 years yesterday because it's a Mat Fraser special. He mentioned in there the importance of it too, and not beating yourself up for rest days where you over eat and binge, as long as you're putting in a crazy workload the rest of the week which I'd say I do.

Good share with that link! I'll have a listen

Chelonian

Reaction score
He mentioned in there the importance of it too, and not beating yourself up for rest days where you over eat and binge, as long as you're putting in a crazy workload the rest of the week which I'd say I do.
A good point. It's all too easy to lose perspective and become obsessive about training.
Someone belting out multiple training routines for most days of the week really shouldn't worry about crashing out on a sofa after a beer and curry binge from time-to-time.

D47M0R

Reaction score
37 miles done this week, an all-time high, plus about 5 circuits sessions not including today.

Today I was almost going to give myself an extra rest day (Mondays are my set rest days) but I got a grip of myself and decided low-intensity mobility strength work is still better than nothing.

So I did a steady 2 miler warm up (included in the 37 this week) followed by some un-timed, un-measured sets of:

- Turkish Get Ups (16kg KB)
- Offset Sandbag Squats (sandbag on one shoulder)
- Offset Farmer's Walks (sandbag in one hand)
- Single Arm Overhead Walking Lunges (16kg KB)
- Alternating KB Snatch
- Bodyweight Curtsy Lunges

Basically a load of stuff I never do. No format, no set numbers or timings, just kind of went with the flow and chilled out, barely broke a sweat the whole session, but feel better for it.
Do you have any recommendations for decent sandbags or companies that make them? I have KB's going up to 24kg at the moment so would like something heavier (probably around double or more).

However lots of sandbags you can buy online seem to look like bad quality or be too low in weight to be worth it.

Obviously I'll probably need/get a fillable one as I can't see delivery companies delivering a full one. I'm guessing that's what you have?

Anyway any recommendations would be appreciated.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations for decent sandbags or companies that make them? I have KB's going up to 24kg at the moment so would like something heavier (probably around double or more).

However lots of sandbags you can buy online seem to look like bad quality or be too low in weight to be worth it.

Obviously I'll probably need/get a fillable one as I can't see delivery companies delivering a full one. I'm guessing that's what you have?

Surprisingly mine is just an unbranded one from Aldi, only 20kg. It's more like a Power Bag as in it doesn't shift around. Ideally I'd like a bit heavier after a year using this one but gyms reopen in a few days where they have them up to 50kg so not too worried about it now.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

What exercise do you need it for? Do you need handles or just a bag?

User1234

Reaction score
I have a cereberus one, it’s a Scottish company I think. It was a bit pricey but it is very good quality

Duracell Bunny

Reaction score
A reasonably long circuit session this morning with a little bit of help from my twin boys on the weighted press ups... Started off with two rounds of press ups/sit ups/pull ups to the beep:

Press ups 33, 28
Sit ups 55, 45
Pull ups 6, 6

Somewhat frustrating in terms of results. Sit ups have decreased due to a major lack of core work in the last 6 months or so, although I’m confident they will increase back to 85 easily enough. Press ups and pull ups still need work - press ups especially, which I just can’t seem to increase. Muscle recovery has improved a lot, but muscular strength/endurance is obviously still lacking in terms of being able to bang out more to the beep. Hoping to see improvements once the gyms reopen next week and I can start incorporating some heavier lifts back into my routine.

3x rounds:
15 bent over row (20kg sandbag)
10 front squat (20kg sandbag)
5 weighted press ups (18.1kg, 19.1kg, 19.1kg)
20 KB swing (8Kg KB)
4 pull ups

2x rounds:
7 weighted press ups (18.1kg, 19.1kg)
4 pull ups

3x rounds:
15 press ups
3 pull ups

3x 70sec plank

Murk

Reaction score
Missed Fridays Fintan session so today was punishment:

2.4k out
5x Fintan followed by best effort runs in a pyramid - 800m, 1600m, 2400m, 1600m and 800m. Done in laps around a couple football fields, every time you pass the goal posts rock 5 pull ups.
2.4k back
15k total distance

D47M0R

Reaction score
Surprisingly mine is just an unbranded one from Aldi, only 20kg. It's more like a Power Bag as in it doesn't shift around. Ideally I'd like a bit heavier after a year using this one but gyms reopen in a few days where they have them up to 50kg so not too worried about it now.
Personally I've found that you can actually get quite good stuff from Aldi/Lidl etc but it's a bit hit or miss. Some of it is just tat.

What exercise do you need it for? Do you need handles or just a bag?
Handles are a plus as they don't do any harm and add usefulness but definitely aren't required.

I have a cereberus one, it’s a Scottish company I think. It was a bit pricey but it is very good quality
Thanks Cerberus does look good. What weight did you get? There's only a £5 difference between each weight. 45kg is £70 60kg is £75 80kg is £80. For example is it worth getting the 80kg then just filling it up to whatever you want? Else you're limited to 60kg. The shape of them does make me feel like 60kg might be enough though.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rest day today however after recommendation I've signed up for ROMWOD and completed the first 2 days of the Beginners Week on there.

Flexibility and mobility are like an alien concept to me so 40 mins of solid stretching and yoga there has already got me feeling like muscles and joints are releasing in a way I've never felt before, lots of warmth running through them right now.

User1234

Reaction score
I got the 60kg one so that it was a bit more conditioning rather than barely being able to lift it

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
AM
A, 4.89 km Fartlek run that included a nasty long hill and a flat 340 m max effort sprint (59 seconds). No shin pain during running, back in the game. Stopped for 10 pull ups before heading home.
After a bit of rest:

B, Max tests to the beep:
Pull ups: 10
Sit ups: 85 + 15 after a quick rewind in the audio
Press ups: 51 (very not happy that it’s not 60 after a rest)

PM:
C, Every 90 seconds 10 sets of:
10 m flat + 20 m hill sprint, walk down
15 inverted rows on a handrail
15 push ups

D, Full Knee Ability zero programme plus additional 3x30 banded tibialis. 2x25 seconds hanging L-sit form in perfect 90 degrees form. I can really feel my hamstring’s flexibility improving.

Lazy man’s stretching in an hour after getting some burgers down.

Mosquito

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to start the Sean Lerwill ROP plan again after plateauing with it before. I think my body just got too used to the exercises and really struggled. Took a few weeks off working on weak points. This time round I'm doing morning sessions of this, 4 rounds of each with a 45 second rest between, and then another workout in the afternoon to focus on conditioning and/or specific movements.

AM:
1 Mile best effort - 7:05
4 Rounds from Sean Lerwill ROP plan with 45 second rest between
Pull Up Gainers - 3, 3, 3

PM:
Phys Troop Press Up Workout - 10 reps of 10 seconds in front support place, 10 seconds in lowered position. Sounds easy, really isn't.
Phys Troop Progressive Core Workout x 3

Today's workouts
AM:
4 rounds ROP plan

PM:
Beam Sequence
40 Commando core workout from Twitter

And stretching of course