your opinions on training the ANA and ANP

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17510491

i think that the majority of them are just nice guys that want to make their country better, but then we always get some idiots who are only their to get close to our soldiers and do things like this.

just another thing to separate our troops and theirs,

what is your opinion on training them ect

DD

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think its difficult, frustrating and to a degree ineffective, but at the end of the day, what other choices do you have at not permently having a military presence in Afghanistan?

Oz25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's difficult as John says, what choice do we currently have when the Afghans do not have a military able to stand on it's own feet at the moment.

But I for one would not want the job of training the Afghan army and police. I couldn't trust them, and although it's only the minority who want to target us, that's enough for me to never be able to trust them because you just can't tell who is Taliban and who isn't.

You can be training an Afghan soldier week in week out on the firing range, and as has happened they can just turn around and take you out. How can you defend against that. It's impossible. You can't go round weapon drawn pointing at every Afghan soldier so you just have to take your chances, and hope they don't turn on you.

I just hope that by the time I pass out of training, which will hopefully be by 2013, the Marines are not used to train the Afghan military, because that is a role I would not relish at all

Does anyone think the Marines would be used in a training roll when we pull out of combat operations in Afghan in 2013? I personally think it would be a waste of resouces and a little too standard to request Commandos to train Afghan personnel, but I could be wrong.

Oz

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone think the Marines would be used in a training roll when we pull out of combat operations in Afghan in 2013? I personally think it would be a waste of resouces and a little too standard to request Commandos to train Afghan personnel, but I could be wrong.

Oz
Crappy job for an elite unit maybe, I do think the RM would be one of the more suitable units to take on the task though.

The commando and rm ethos, mentality and way Marines approach things. Royals from ones I've met, to documentrys I have seen are always alot more calmer and less aggresive in personality than other forces regiments.

But that's just an opinion of my own, the rm are a different beast and I just can't think a the word to describe what I meen. But we need a cool and calm gentle approach not an aggressive one.

Courage, Determination, unselfishness, and cheerfullness in the face of adversity it fits any situation.