Youth Hostels

J

Jason_A

Anyone ever stayed in one? If so, how long?

If I get an Apprenticeship, and it's not near me, then I may have to consider relocating. I wouldn't really be able afford anything other than a cheap hostel with me only being 16. I know the cheap ones are going be really sh!t but it's better than nothing. I'd like to know if anyone stayed in one, if so how long and was it satisfactory? I'll sure have to make sure I don't take any valuables.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Erm yeah they aint all that bad, i stayed in one for a week. Just need to buy your own food etc and we had to share a tv. But its dead cheap so you cant complain.

Someone stole a t-sirt off of me when it was in he wash so i'de watch that one.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I *text deleted* know to be honest, went with family because everywhere else was dear, sorry.

DamageInc85

Reaction score
British hostels are hit and miss mate, some are cracking but the majority are holes. Me and a friend stayed in a £15 a night hostel in Edinburgh recently and it was grim. Part of the ceiling collapsed on his bunk and my bed was riddled with lice and bugs which bit the crap out of me, plus the beds were full of pubes when we arrived. Really grim. We had to stay there for 4 nights because it was the Fringe festival and everywhere was full. At £15 you can't really complain though, I just got really drunk every night and slept on the floor.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
British hostels are hit and miss mate, some are cracking but the majority are holes. Me and a friend stayed in a £15 a night hostel in Edinburgh recently and it was grim. Part of the ceiling collapsed on his bunk and my bed was riddled with lice and bugs which bit the crap out of me, plus the beds were full of pubes when we arrived. Really grim. We had to stay there for 4 nights because it was the Fringe festival and everywhere was full. At £15 you can't really complain though, I just got really drunk every night and slept on the floor.
Oh dear! *text deleted*. i've been in some really horrible and grim hostels as well. One time I was in a youth hostel that was actually a converted prison. The showers were holes in the wall, cold, all the walls were rough uneven brickwork, the rooms were the cells, the windows did not have glass, they were a bunch of metal bars. Plus, no air filters or anything, so the room stank of rot and stale. Oh yeah and the mattreses were half eaten by moths, and there were lice, spiders, woodlouse and silverfish all over them. Not very nice. Also, my older brother told me that there were rumours of ghosts of the inmates wondering round the corridors at night.... seeking revenge on the wardens that tortured them. I was a little kid at the time, but I remembered it so vividly. I also couldn't get drunk and pi$$ed so I had to endure the brutalities of a crappy youth hostel. Oh well its all good experience in the end *text deleted*.

DamageInc85

Reaction score
An old prison!? Hmmmm, sounds depressing. I've stayed in a few in France and Germany that have been converted old chateaus and castles, they look really beautiful from the outside, then you go in and they are literally falling down around you, no hot water, wiring hanging out the walls etc.
Worst hostel experience was in Barcelona when we weren't told about the 11pm curfew. We got back about 2am one evening and there was no one to let us in! Spent the night in a shop doorway in a fairly rough area of Barca surrounded by hookers, pimps and crack fiends. If I was on my own I would have got mugged or raped for sure. Luckily there was 3 of us, but it's amazing how quickly you sober up when you find yourself in a situation like that. It's all fun and games though, you look back and laugh afterwards, live and learn.
Anyway I digress from the original thread question, basically if your going to use a hostel read the reviews on the YHA website. Oh, and don't stay in one with a curfew, your not 12 anymore.

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Erm well it was a while ago in Wales, and we caused some trouble with the local *text deleted*, resulting in broken windows, big laughs, lots of swearing and quick packing of bags. Those were the days. OH and if theres a coke machine insert 50p and press the button for coke loads of times = loads of drinks at no extra cost! Got banned from using it though, they locked the room that it was in, losers...